Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

293RKDS - Hitch Weight

I'm calculating available payload for a new gas GM Silverado 2500HD 2WD and have accurate weights for everything except hitch weight. I realize the actual amount will depend on CAT Scale results but is the factory disclosed dry hitch weight of 1900 lb for this model anywhere close? The GVWR of the 293RKDS is 11995 lb. I only have 2700 lb available for hitch weight. The maximum fifth wheel hitch weight for the truck is 3000 lb. If it ends up higher, I'll either need to switch fifth wheel or truck. Neither option will be easy if I already own one or the other.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

We are looking at ordering a 293rkds. Would like to hear a scaled pin weight as well.

Thanks,
Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #3

I have a 2016 293RKDS and with full tank of fresh water, all gear loaded and ready to leave for a 4 week camping trip mine came in at 2,105 pin weight. Our coach is a little heavier because we have installed an heavy foam mattress to replace the original and we have added one tv in the bedroom and one in the basement in the tool rack. I hava also installed 3/8 plywood in all the basement walls to be able to install shelves and misc. hooks. It is a great fifth wheel for travelling. Good luck with your purchase.
MarMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

I will also be following this thread. After lots of searching Patti has picked the 293rkds as the one we will be trading up to... Abd she will be doing a few of the options, the main one is the 23 cu ft fridge.
And from doing the math this will be the limit for our truck.....
2002 Chev Silverado, 8.1, Allison, 4x4, 3.73
Crew cab, long bed
at the moment a 2016 Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOOOOO Montana State University BOBCATS
Msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

I forgot to mention that it took a few trips to get used to the rear kitchen. We have learned not to store any breakable in the cupboards at the back or in the pantry. When travelling we use the mid cupboard for anything that can break. I had to secure the shelves in the pantry because they all collapsed to the floor on the first trip. I used 90 degrees bracket and secured every shelf to the wall, they are not adjustable anymore but they stay put during our travel. I also had to reinforce the drawers because the bottom was falling. Also, it is not possible to leave the sink covers in place while traveling because they do not stay in place and fly all over the place. We secure them on the floor under the chair while we travel. Once we adapted to these particularities we really enjoy the 293rkds on the road.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

If you really want to know your true tow capacity and calculate weights, go to this site: RV Safety|RV Towing Calculator|Tow Ratings|GCWR
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoyb View Post
I'm calculating available payload for a new gas GM Silverado 2500HD 2WD and have accurate weights for everything except hitch weight. I realize the actual amount will depend on CAT Scale results but is the factory disclosed dry hitch weight of 1900 lb for this model anywhere close? The GVWR of the 293RKDS is 11995 lb. I only have 2700 lb available for hitch weight. The maximum fifth wheel hitch weight for the truck is 3000 lb. If it ends up higher, I'll either need to switch fifth wheel or truck. Neither option will be easy if I already own one or the other.
I can't quote specifics for your model but...
Our 351 RLTS had brochure weights of 10,685#/2,305#. The loaded CAT Scale results were 12,700#/3,020#.
Keep in mind that when analyzing your weights, don't use "available payload" as an indicator of how much pin weight you can tolerate. The payload is distributed over both axles (the rear axle will have more than the front). About 100% of the pin and hitch weight go directly on the rear axle.
Let's say you have a 2500# payload and have a combined hitch/pin weight of 2300#. You could find that even though you are under the payload limit you have exceeded the rear axle GAWR.
Scale weights of your TV will give you the exact load you can add to each axle. The pin is roughly 25% of the 5th's GVW.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #8

If you are looking to buy the truck, why not just go right to 3500 and be done with it? Cost can't be much different unless it is something right on the dealers lot.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #9

2500 vs 3500

The decision between a 2500 or 3500 or 3/4 ton vs 1 ton is not that easy. If you go to the 3500 or 1 ton model you need to be ready for sacrifices like the stiffer ride, the maintenance cost, the parking space if you go to a double wheels. The stiffer ride is fun for a few hours but after a few months it will wear you out unless you (and your wife) were born for it! My advice is to do it only if necessary.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #10

A Ram 2500 gasser will give you 3000lbs of CCC. Just throwing that out as another option.
If you haven't bought the truck yet then why not drive both a 2500 and 3500 to really see if the rides that much stiffer. You don't need a dually. I would drive all 3 and see which one has the best ride.
As a note make sure the dealer has the tires set to the right PSI. If they have the tires pump to max when in reality they only need 45-50 psi in the rear then you won't get a true feel for how the truck will ride when empty.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #11

We picked up a 293rkds back in june. With the options we picked it came in little over 10,000 lbs.
Our tv is a 2010 chevy silverado v8 6 liter gas ltz 4x4 with a 6.5 bed and 4:10 rearend. The 5th wheel is really close to level when towinng and there is plenty of power to tow. Close to 8 inches clearance between the 5er and bed rails. Tows like a dream. I am not sure of the pin weight but before we ordered our unit the dealer let us hook up to a larger heavier eagle unit to see how much it would squat the tv and check clearance. Everything checked out fine so we ordered the unit. Great dealer by the way they made sure we were within limits and safe and satisfied before the purchase. Our unit was ordered with 8 cu refrigerator, standard wheels and tires and thermal windows.I hope this info will help answer any questions or concerns that you may have. Happy camping!
luvs2camp7164 is offline   Reply With Quote