Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
I noticed with our new FW that left-right level seems to be pretty important. When I am spot-on level, the FW hitches and un-hitches great. However, the other day at the dealer, we were a little off level and it was hard to get it to un-hitch. This is a new FW as we towed our old one for eight years with this hitch so maybe it's just a bit tighter than the old one. Time will tell. I think I will put a little lithium grease on it when we go to pick it up later this week.

jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Hitchin and Unhitchin

IMHO when hitchin - wheels chocked. Pin box plate 1/2" lower than the center of the receiver plate. King pin within the middle of the V (left to right)
Angle of attack not more than 10 degrees off center if possible.

Unhitchin - wheels chocked. Gear down. Pin box plate just off the receiver plate i.e. no weight on truck. Jaws open. breakaway and power cord disconnected. Tailgate down. Parking brake off. Pull forward. Dont forget where you parked.

It's a whole different story with a Superglide. Also - a checklist might save a drop or a tailgate.

I'm just sayin...

happy trails

2003 Designer Legacy 3590RLTS
2011 Bullet 215RBS - Sold
Timbrens, Rand McNally 7710RVND and
Pullrite SuperGlide 2700.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
I have the same 15K Reese Pro hitch. I have not had any issues with hitching or unhitching my unit. I do have the 10" teflon lube plate on my pin too. What I have found to work best for me is when disconnecting coming up till I just see light between the head and king pin. Then I pull the lever and pull ahead. When reconnecting I will line up and lift the trailer 1/4 - 1/2 inch when connecting. If there is too much height you will not hit the jaw right.

I have not have any hangups or issues with releasing the jaw on my unit and I only have added grease to the zurk on the head.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
I use a Reese Signature 16K, with a 10" nylon plate and no grease. The only problem I've ever had was when pulling in, then landing gear down, and handle won't release because of the king pin pressure against the jaws. In that situation, I just back the truck slightly to release the pressure, then the handle comes free immediately. The Reese has enough swivel side to side that leveling is not a problem.

2003 Ford F-350 V-10 Crew Cab 4WD Long Bed
2004 Jayco Designer Medallion 29 RLTS 5th wheel
Bill, Gayle, and Mindi (dachshund)
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote