Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #1

5th Wheel Brakes

I was traveling from Yosemite to Napa when my 2016 Ram warning come on that said "Trailer Brake Disconnected" and "Check Wiring". I pulled over and checked the connection and reset it. I checked the Blinkers/Brakes/Running Lights etc.. and they all worked. The brakes did not. I took my truck to a RAM dealer and they put the connection tester on it and it passed. I also tried to plug the pigtail from the 5th wheel into the bumper location for the other connection. No good for the brakes. Still said "Trailer Brake Disconnected". Any idea for this out there? Is there a test plug for the pigtail? Or do I need to buy a multi-meter to check the wiring? Fuse? Any help is greatly appreciated. My 5th wheel is a 2016 Pinnacle 38FLSA.
oriolehawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #2

If your truck checked out.........sounds like it almost has to be your trailer.

It should not be a fuse on the brakes.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
jtw

Visually check the wires at each wheel to make sure wires are hooked up, 2 wires per wheel, wires usually extent to other side thru axle tube. I had some warr work done on my unit they were in the belly pan and moved my blinker wires out of their way and into the slide mechanism when I extended slide it pulled wires apart, it happened twice before I figured it out. Once again dealer did a crappy job.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

It is under warranty . Call Jayco they will set you up to have it fixed . Asap when it' s the brakes.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #5

I had a wire rubbing on the tire on the inside, so not easily visible, wore right through the wire. You may need to get under and behind the wheels to see if that's where the problem is.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #6

Depending on where you are from the dealer and getting back on the road with no brakes I would jack up a wheel until it spins, then hit the controller slide. If the brakes do not react then it sounds like trailer wiring since the dealer confirmed TV is working correctly.

Check all the connection points at the hubs. Easily accessible from under the camper. I redid all mine as the factory does not do the best job there IMHO.

Hit the connection with some electrical cleaner as well. Spider webs or debris could be lodged in the plug especially if it was on the ground at any point.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #7
Site Team

There are plug in testers for 7 pin connectors available at most anywhere that handles trailer parts.
Sounds like your dealer has checked out the truck. I think you need to have a digital VOC meter with you. Check ground continuity to the trailer thru the connector.

Most rv shops have a test rig that they can plug into your rig pigtail that will quickly verify if the brakes are working. It's easy to check yourself as others have noted.

If they have worked, I would be looking for corroded connections or something rubbing a wire.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote