Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

AC on while traveling???

Just curious if anyone has ran their AC unit while traveling down the road???
I was thinking of operating my Honda 2000 and its 2000 Companion in parallel while towing down the road with the generator in the bed of my TV. But was wondering if there was a way to have a female outlet installed in the lower front besides the one on the side of the 5er???? My 31.5 RLTS has a 50 amp plug and cord that I adapt down to the 30 amp outlet on the Honda companion generator and wouldn't want to have it plugged in sticking out as far as it does while towing??? Has anyone tried this or is it possible???
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #2

We tow with our genset and AC running. Right now we have a short pigtail from generator to the inlet, but long term, I'll be putting in an auto transfer switch. Pretty straight forward to install. No reason you couldn't go that route. Very nice walking into a 70 deg camper when you get there.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:03 AM   #3

I suppose I could run with my a/c while running down the road, but I just don't feel the need. I get hot and sweaty hooking up anyway and since I always hook up shore power first the a/c gets a head start on me finishing up anyway. After I get parked I hook up shower power, turn on a/c, then unhook and adjust the landing gear as needed. I had rather use shower power to help with the landing gear vs just battery power.

By the time I get all set up it is already cooler inside than out so it feels good to me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:12 AM   #4
Site Team

Most anything can be done by someone with the proper electrical and mechanical knowledge. .

Not to try to change your mine but I agree with Ed .
After leveling, I already have the power hooked up and the air conditioner goes on even before the slides are out.

I have a buddy that uses his in parking lots to keep his cat comfortable? (What have we become?), but seldom runs it on the road.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #5

Problem where we live, is the camper can be 100 deg plus upon arrival. Won't be cool until late that night. We're spoiled, and I'm used to living on an oil rig where it's 55-60 deg year round on the bridge and in quarters. It's just a convenience really. We just now started doing this after all the years and RVs, but I had always complained before, at least on the towables.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:56 PM   #6

edatlanta- thanks for the input, I too always try to hook up shore power first before unhooking the 5er, but the reason I should have mentioned was to keep the 2 pet dogs cool while in their kennels in the 5er while traveling on hot days. We leave both vents open to circulate air but its hot air!!! Would like to make it more comfortable on them!!!
Old 09-26-2015, 12:03 AM   #7

norty1- I totally agree with you as I hook up shore power first thing to conserve battery but I should have mentioned we bring our 2 pet dogs in the porta kennels inside and keep vents open to circulate air and have even open a couple windows partially also but when the temps outside are in the 80's-100's its even hotter inside the trailer, we have even made it a point to do our traveling from the early evenings to sun up!!! Thanks for your input though.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:21 AM   #8

We don't run AC while on the road...actually no way to do that, not that I would anyway. As other said we hook up power first (after checking quality of elec) turn AC on and then begin the unhooking process. Our '15 27RLS will cool within a few minutes...and were HOT at home, being in Phoenix, Az area. Even when we plug in at home, it only take a few minutes to get comfortable inside.

Guess it's why they make vanilla and chocolate... we are all different with different tastes/needs.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
We don't run AC while on the road...actually no way to do that, not that I would anyway. As other said we hook up power first (after checking quality of elec) turn AC on and then begin the unhooking process. Our '15 27RLS will cool within a few minutes...and were HOT at home, being in Phoenix, Az area. Even when we plug in at home, it only take a few minutes to get comfortable inside.

Guess it's why they make vanilla and chocolate... we are all different with different tastes/needs.
Agreed.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #10

We have the on-board geny and have started it up an hour or so before arrival to cool things down.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #11

Like I said, we have 2 pets and don't want them to have to suffer in the heat! When it's around 95-100 degrees outside, inside is 79-81 degrees with the ac unit on, as there is only 1 ac unit on our 31.5 RSTL, was hotter with ac running in New Mexico & Texas this summer before I went to the nearest Lowes/Home Depot and purchased 2-4'x8'x1" thick insulation (styrafoam with a foal on one side) and cut to fit every window!!! I will probably be adding a second ac unit and having it installed where the front bedroom vent is, I believe it is pre-wired for one. But when travelling & stopping to let the dogs out for water and to go do there business, I have checked the inside thermometer and it gets really hot inside, so have to stop often to let the dogs out and give them water!!! Don't see why I couldn't run the 2 Honda gen/inverters paralled to each other and have either a 30 amp or 50 amp outlet tied to the original 50 amp outlet and let them run in the bed of the TV and use a short 30 amp or 50 amp cord plugged into it if it was mounted on the front lower portion of the 5er to be able to run the ac down the roads. What people will do for their loved pets!!!