Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

Anyone double (or triple) towing with a Jayco 5vr?

Looking to double tow (some websites call it triple tow) with a Jayco 5th wheel? I know the rear drop hitch is only rated for a 300# tongue weight but considering a one-time flat car tow with all four wheels on the ground. Looking at a light weight, small SUV but will be a 1000 mile trek. Researched the state laws without issue, more concerned for the wear on my RV. I know others are doing this, let me know the pros, cons and mods of this thought.
Grawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

I would double check the welds. It looks like they added a piece of thinner gauge tubing 1X3 +/- to get the hitch low enough to clear the rear cap. Also JAYCO says that using it to tow will void the warranty.

Besides the welds my concern would be the braking.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #3

I don't understand - if towing something voids the warranty why does Jayco add hitches (my new Eagle has one - no plans to use it - just curious now).
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

Yes Grumpy is correct, Jayco identifies it as an accessory mount/hitch. It specifically says "not for towing, rated for a <300# accessory" (I.e. bike rack or gear rack). I thought the frame work looked solid but now I see the piece od substandard 1x3. Was hoping a toad on all fours would be do-able but really concerned for residual damage. As for braking, I was looking at a g-based brake controller inside the vehicle.
Grawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I would double check the welds. It looks like they added a piece of thinner gauge tubing 1X3 +/- to get the hitch low enough to clear the rear cap. Also JAYCO says that using it to tow will void the warranty.

Besides the welds my concern would be the braking.
I had my hitch re-welding the entire lenght of the mounting braket. The spot welds wouldn't hold anything but the hitch.

2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Diesel
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS
F14man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:37 AM   #6

I tow my 18' boat behind my fifth wheel almost every trip. No problems. Make sure you tow vehicle is up to it, and check the major safety items. Otherwise shouldnt be an issue.

UPC
Old 08-30-2015, 05:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
I don't understand - if towing something voids the warranty why does Jayco add hitches (my new Eagle has one - no plans to use it - just curious now).
Some FW have actual hitches and others have just an "accessory hitch". I think a lot is based on the frame length. The units with the actual class 3 hitches are OK'd for towing. Some of the EAGLE line also came pre-wired with a 4 wire connector for the trailer.

The PINNACLES are all at or over 40' and my dealer thinks it is another CYA on JAYCO's part since most triple tow states limit you to 60/65' overall length. I know when I hitched up I at 54' total length so that only leaves 6/11' for a trailer based on your state laws.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:19 AM   #8

I have been double towing for a few years now. I pull a Polaris RZR behind the fifth wheel from Michigan to Arizona and back. When I first did it I had a Jayco Designer Rl31 . I had a local welding shop weld on a hitch . On our Pinnacle I noticed that the frame is not as heavy as the designer. Anything towed behind a fifth wheel gets a lot of up and down motion. Most that tow ATV use tire bonnets to hold the rig down because the motion will break a 2" strap if you tie the suspension down. I also use a extra set of chains required in Michigan hooked to the outer edges of the hitch. Myself I have only seen a car pulled once behind a fifth wheel and would not recommend it with the new frames been so thin and the weight of the car. Most states are 60/65 as stated above with some at 70 Michigan just upped theirs a couple years ago to 75 . If you really need a car I think I would just use the dually or let the DW drive the car.
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #9

I had to go out and look at mine and you are right Grumpy - it is a Pull Rite and I can tow a 3000 lb boat - 300 lbs on hitch. Has the wires too. My Eagle isn't long (26RKS) and my old Ford is a Supercab shortbed but the boat would have to be pretty small to stay within Montana's 65' total. The hitch looks very sturdy to me though!
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
additional trailer, double, tow, towing, triple