Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
We use a mix that was recommended to us a few years ago. It is Calgon water softener, Borax and Dawn dish soap. Using the cap from the Calgon put 1 cap of each of the above after you dump and flush. If you have a larger tank just add a bit more of each. Just put it in the toilet with a bowl of water and stir it around and clean the bowl then simply flush into the tank. You are ready for the next trip.

I second the use of the above mix. However i add more than a capful of the borax and the calgon maybe 2 cupsful. I put this in an epty black tank with 2 to 3 gallons of water before setting off on a trip to allow it to flush around the tank.

I also would change out the tank vents on the roof to Lippert 360 Siphon vents. These pull the odours out even when parked in a slight breeze.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picinisco View Post
I second the use of the above mix. However i add more than a capful of the borax and the calgon maybe 2 cupsful. I put this in an epty black tank with 2 to 3 gallons of water before setting off on a trip to allow it to flush around the tank.

I also would change out the tank vents on the roof to Lippert 360 Siphon vents. These pull the odours out even when parked in a slight breeze.
That's why I said you might need more for a larger tank. For us the single capful mix works fine. I put it in after I dump the tank and it stays until the next dump. This is the best I've used in all my RVs.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:37 PM   #23

Our 2019 North Point had a leak in the vent on top of the tank. The seal didn't. Clean out the tank really well. Then fill it up into the toilet and note the height of the water. Next morning with water off "flush" the toilet to see if the level went down. Ours had a leak in the vent seal on top of the tank and a leak on the upstream side of the dump valve. All the water went into the chloroplast. That's why you want the tank clean.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:54 AM   #24

We have a 2104 reqs last year my wife was camping and had the same issue of black tank Oder in bathroom, never had it before . I took the cabinet apart by toilet and inspected vent pipe , found fitting at eye level had come loose. Not glued . Repaired smell went away. Hope this helps
jboverhof is offline   Reply With Quote