Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #1

black tank flushing

Hello my fellow jayco owners. I did something stupid yesterday while packing up. Left my back wash on and it started leaking sewage out of my front compartment and then coming down my jack legs. It's a 2015 ht 27.5 rls unit. Can someone please tell me if you think I broke something? I'll have to remove the underbelly to look. I should anyways just to see how much smelly sewage is all over the place. I don't know if the tank has a over flow or not. Thank you in advance for any help.
Joe
lovetocamp4660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

I suggest reposting this question in a forum other than the welcome one...
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #3

guess you could have busted something. However, when most people let the flush run too long, it comes up into and out top of toilet. Its a closed system. If water got into your underbelly, forget the smell, thing mold and rot. It needs to be dried out asap!
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Never heard of a overflow. It usually backs up in the toilet. Don't ask me how I know.

The vent tube may have leaked at the joint where it joins the tank.

Never get distracted while dumping the tanks.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

That makes for a steep learning curve . I'm with some of the others...it should have come up in the toilet and run all over in there first because the check valve is (or at least should be) above the rim of the toilet. If not, there must be a leak of some sort.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #6

I let mine run long enough one time to hear my wife shout (she was cleaning the toilet), and hear a gurgling in the vent pipe (we were in the shop). Fortunately a very quick dive into home plate to pull the valve and all was good. Never again. I don't leave my post now.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #7

right under my black tank flush connection it says never operate with valve closed. I think this can also cause problems with the check valve on the inside of the rv leaking. Might have to do with pressure building up which I know it shouldn't since the tank is vented but just my thought. I am. it sure why you would want to flush with the valve closed.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #8

They always say don't flush with valve closed, but that's just a CYA thing. Just running the flusher alone with the valve open does little for cleaning the tank. That's been proven with the clear tank model and testing with different spray nozzles and flush systems. Filling and dumping is pretty much the best route, provided you stay dedicated to that job. How not to overfill. When our rigs were new, we always timed the tank being filled since we flush and rinse with the same water supply each time (It's inside the shop). Start the water and timer, open the toilet and watch. When it gets right at the top of the tank, I know where my oh crap moment is. I usually only go to 75% of this when filling / dumping.

On the check valve (backflow preventer, anti-siphon valve), I've been badgered on this before, but I get rid of them completely and make it a straight shot. Every one I've had has leaked, whether it be inside a wall, under the bathroom sink etc. Thank goodness I check all this upon purchase. They suck, they will leak. I use a dedicated hose with a vacuum break installed at the camper inlet. It works, and has worked for all of our rigs. It is required by their (RV) code to be mounted above toilet level, it's my code to rid of the potential flood, which some have experienced. Just my 2 cents on those things. Look at an aftermarket flush system and show me where the little valve is at. At the inlet, and those hoses run usually from tank to bumper or somewhere near the black tank dump valve.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #9

I want to Thank all of you for given me suggestions on my black tank. After not being able to sleep Tuesday night with this on my mind, even though it's under warrenty, i went outside at 4 am and removed the under belly to exposed the black tank. I was worried that it was all wet and going to get mold or rot underneath. I'm glad i did since it gave me a sense of what it's like under the underbelly material. I got to say i was impressed to see the quality of the Jayco assembly line. I did see that the only wetness was the little fiberglass blanket they lay under the tank was soaking wet of sewer crap. And then i found out later that the fitting they put in the side of tank for the back wash was leaking when used. Everything else looked good. So after inspecting the under side, i notice that the only way Jayco puts those tanks in is from the the top side, the tank sits in two upport brackets welded from side to side. So i went up to my compartment side and look through the little gap aroung the wood of the hole they drill for the 3 inch hole for the toilet drop straight down from the toilet to the tank, and the 2 inch hole for the vent pipe. Couldn't see enough to determine where the leak is. So i was able to lift the wood floor of the capartment enough to get a visable of the two pipe openings and filled the tank agian with the back wash valve. ( By the way i don't have that do not fill with valve close below my flush valve as stated above ) I figure it's venting through the vent pipe and while filling i decided to open my toilet foot valve and i didn't get any sense of pressure needing to come out. So anyways after it got to full it started leaking around my vent pipe where it enters the tank. So instead of putting this back together and taking it back to the dealer and showing him the pictures i took and video, i think i might as well fix it myself. I just got to find out what sealant i should use. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks again to all.
PS. Sorry if i'm not posting in the right places on the forums but i'm trying to learn to navigate on this site.
Joe
Old 09-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetocamp4660 View Post
I just got to find out what sealant i should use. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Joe
If the pipe is black in color (and it should be) it is ABS material and needs solvent and adhesive made for ABS pipes. Should be able to get at HD or Lowes.

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 09-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #11

The leak is coming from the opening they made in tank and where they put the pipe in the tank. No fitting in that area from what i can see. Not sure how they married the pipe to the tank. But they put some kind of glue/ sealant around the pipe to the tank. Thats the kinda sealant im looking for. Going to camping world now and ask and look.
Thank you
Old 09-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #12

You might want to contact Jayco about that.

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 09-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
Site Team

It may just be a rubber gasket.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #14

Usually there is a spin in weld fitting or the rubber grommet type where the pipe slips in. Would be odd if there were none. Never seen a tank without one of the 2 methods. Did they forget and just add the sealant? Curious.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #15

I just did this a month ago, the cause was a faulty black water fill sensor. I was watching and it didn't seem to fill, well I kept filling. I know, I know. Anyway, we heard a bang and noticed the insulation under the trailer had filled with water.

End result will be determined as dealer is dealing with Jayco wether it is a warranty issue or not because of the faulty sensor.

The trailer is still at the dealer. Damage: the tank separated from the trailer resulting in broke brackets, damage to the insulation, damage to just about everything below the commode. Oh, also it filled the camper floor with maybe an inch of water............We had used the camper twice..........ya.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote