Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #1

Eagle HT: Proper use of fresh water diverter valve

Can someone explain the correct use of the diverter valve. The Jayco manual does not cover it. My Jayco dealer's service person said they "thought" you left it in the "Tank Fill" position when running the pump (drawing water from the tank) which left me less than impressed.

I can't find anything online about how these diverter valves are plumbed or the proper operation. Must be the one thing on the planet that Google doesn't know...
Old 08-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

I can't directly answer your question but on our 5th to use the tank water we have a "Normal" setting which allows the pump to draw from the tank.
IIRC the other settings are:
City Fill - using a hose (city water source)
Country Fill - to siphon from a source (bucket)
City Fixtures - pressurized water directly from a hose (bypasses the tank)
Normal - already described (no clue why that's normal)
Winterize-Sanitize - siphon bleach-water or antifreeze from a jug ( not sure how this is different from Normal, there is seperate control for WH bypass)

Doing this from memory, hope it helps.
Welcome to the JOF!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #3

The HT models (at least the 28.5) have a different arrangement - a small black box on the outside of the unit with two inlets, one for fresh water and one for black tank flush.

Above the fresh water inlet is a valve with two positions and a diagram that labels the two positions as "City Water" and "Tank Fill". I get that city water is to run without the pump and that fill is to fill the tank. But I have seen no documentation on positioning the valve for operating self contained after filling the tank.

I am asking these questions because I am sucking air through the pump when the valve is open to the tank/fill line. It pumps great when only the antifreeze line open.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #4

Set it up according to the manual and it will work fine most of the time. As long as the water pump and backflow valve in the pump are working properly everything is good.

But, sometimes mine gets something in there and the city water will work though the pump and fill the fresh water tank. Usually takes 4 or 5 days to fill the tank.

The only way around that is to put an additional valve in the system.

PS note that these extra valves are accessed from the pass through compartment. There is a panel with four screws that you have to remove. Behind that you'll see the water pump and the valves referred to in the manual. You can also access all the other water lines from in there.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #5

You only put it in tank fill to fill freshwater holding tank. Run it in the other position to use City water or to use your 12-volt pump. It will fill your freshwater tank in 10 to 15 minutes when all is working correctly. I have a brand new Eagle HT 27.5 myself

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Charles5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles5510 View Post
You only put it in tank fill to fill freshwater holding tank. Run it in the other position to use City water or to use your 12-volt pump. It will fill your freshwater tank in 10 to 15 minutes when all is working correctly. I have a brand new Eagle HT 27.5 myself

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I'll second this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #7

Doesn't Jayco have a manual for your trailer? They seem to have one for all models for several years.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Doesn't Jayco have a manual for your trailer? They seem to have one for all models for several years.
The manual that I have is generic for all Jayco trailers and 5th wheels. This valve arrangement seems to be unique to the Eagle HT models. It is almost unheard-of elsewhere (including the internet). The actual diverter valve installed in this unit seems to be a JR Products blue handle.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
The HT models (at least the 28.5) have a different arrangement - a small black box on the outside of the unit with two inlets, one for fresh water and one for black tank flush.

Above the fresh water inlet is a valve with two positions and a diagram that labels the two positions as "City Water" and "Tank Fill". I get that city water is to run without the pump and that fill is to fill the tank. But I have seen no documentation on positioning the valve for operating self contained after filling the tank.

I am asking these questions because I am sucking air through the pump when the valve is open to the tank/fill line. It pumps great when only the antifreeze line open.
Are you just trying to use the water pump while boondocking? We just leave it on city water when using the pump and have had no issues.
vikefan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles5510 View Post
You only put it in tank fill to fill freshwater holding tank. Run it in the other position to use City water or to use your 12-volt pump.
X3

Only move the lever to the tank fill position when you are filling your fresh water tank. Move it back when you are done and leave it there.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #11

On this topic, what is the water pump switch for on that same panel. Is that for sucking water from a container.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #12

Thanks all, I have tested and it is not possible to run the pump with the valve in the "tank fill" position, the pump pulls in air.

So I guess: X4
Old 08-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #13

Ok, there are three valves. The one on the panel allows to you to change from city water to the faucets and fill the water tank. If you aren't filling the water tank from a city supply leave it in the city position.

To suck water (or antifreeze or disinfectant) from a bucket you have to access the other two valves next to the water pump. Undo thee access panel from the storage compartment. There is a clear hose that you put in the bucket. Turn that valve 90deg. There is another valve on the 'other side' of the pump. Turn that 90 deg.

These valve positions are shown in the Eagle HT owner's manual.

At the control panel you can then turn on the water pump and it will suck fluid from the bucket and pump it to the water tank.

If you want to pump the stuff through the faucets (like antifreeze) then do not turn the second valve.

Easy, just not obvious unless you open up the access panel.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #14

Mine is quite often left on "tank fill" and my pump works just fine with it in that position.

I would open up the panel inside the pass through storage near the utility dock and ensure that the two valves in by the pump are NOT in position for winterizing. I know these valve positions show up in the manual. I would be suspect that the valve hooked to the clear plastic tube is pointing to the plastic tube and not the plumbing from the tank. (uninformed internet diagnosis)

The other possibility - I have heard that there is a check valve on the fresh water inlet (which supposedly would keep you from pumping water back out the fitting you just filled it from) that can get "stuck". The fix is to remove the screen from the fresh water inlet and press the button that is under it a few times to free things up. I have not had this problem yet, or have looked under that screen, so I can't confirm.