Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Eagle RSTS Kitchen Slide Question

With the slide extended I have two roller indentations on the sub floor, and Schwinn Tech motors.What causes that? Thanks for feedback
Attached Thumbnails
Roller 3.jpg   Roller 2.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
With the slide extended I have two roller indentations on the sub floor, and Schwinn Tech motors.What causes that? Thanks for feedback
Looks like you have a collapse roller, Here's what you do, pull the sweeper gasket down so you can look at the 7 rollers you may have, take a metal ruler and try to slide it under the roller, not on top but under the bottom, if you can not slide a metal ruler under the roller it has sunk into the floor and not rolling, another thing can happen is that the bolt in the roller has bent, also go inside an look at the roller when you lift the sweeper gasket material and make sure theres nothing like a nail or screw jamming the roller.
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:14 AM   #3

Is this with the slide open or closed?

My big slide shows some wear on the underside as well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2172.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	66519
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Is this with the slide open or closed?

My big slide shows some wear on the underside as well.
Attachment 66519
Do the flat metal ruler test, looks like u may have more than 2 starting to cause a problem. Here in this photo I was accessing the the rollers from inside the rv, notice the metal flat ruler would not fit under the roller, that one sunk into the floor.

I ended up pulling the slide off the RV and shimming and replacing all the rollers with rollers rated twice the roller rating that they install at the Jayco plant, and making a shim system that would increase the space under the rollers and prevent it from happening again.

2.# picture from my unit was giving me indicators that I was have serious problems starting.

3.# picture is the slide off the RV so we could do the repair.

4.# I installed the plates to prevent the slide out from being damaged.

replacement rollers found a company by Chicago that made rollers that would fit- what I needed that were also had ball bearings -- super heavy duty
Attached Thumbnails
20191015_131145.jpg   20191015_130758.jpg   20191109_093559.jpg   20200123_103100.jpg  
Old 12-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Pirate View Post
Do the flat metal ruler test, looks like u may have more than 2 starting to cause a problem. Here in this photo I was accessing the the rollers from inside the rv, notice the metal flat ruler would not fit under the roller, that one sunk into the floor.

I ended up pulling the slide off the RV and shimming and replacing all the rollers with rollers rated twice the roller rating that they install at the Jayco plant, and making a shim system that would increase the space under the rollers and prevent it from happening again.

2.# picture from my unit was giving me indicators that I was have serious problems starting.

3.# picture is the slide off the RV so we could do the repair.

4.# I installed the plates to prevent the slide out from being damaged.

replacement rollers found a company by Chicago that made rollers that would fit- what I needed that were also had ball bearings -- super heavy duty
Nice fix! That slide must go in and out like a jack rabbit now
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #6

Wow. Nice explanation. Thanks.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #7

Heres a few pictures of the the factory stock roller on the left second picture- and the after market one I installed same picture on the right--. Made some shims to adjust the bottom height, all the rollers I installed hand at least 1 long shim if not more, to keep them from sinking into the cheap ass plywood they use for the floor--also pulled out the stock bolts and replaced the with grade 9----I also installed 8 of these rollers at 400 pds apiece carrying cap-stock is 7 rollers rated at 200 pds, and re located the side by side refrigerator off the slide, making the total weight of the slide now about 800 pounds---working perfect now--there is also a few other tricks done, Jayco does note do--
Attached Thumbnails
20200828_121306[1].jpg  
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2020, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Nice fix! That slide must go in and out like a jack rabbit now
It is going out and in perfectly, I have stopped it going out and in and measured it on the left and right side, and the most its been off is 1/8 of and inch, and thats rare---
Old 12-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #9

How do the gears realign with the tracks? The rollers look higher, you put shims under the rollers and you made the slide higher with the plates on the underside.
Makes sense that the gears won’t be on the same spot of the track on reassembly.
Is the track bigger than the actual gear and gives some play?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:45 AM   #10

Maybe I should have checked mines before I took it to the dealer for warranty work, I might just try to call him and have him to check.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #11

What I did was to have each roller position routed out 1/4 of an inch, so when the replacement rollers were installed, we then shimmed the rollers with a level a long level to make sure the roller line was going to be perfect, before that was done I also found that the floor that the rollers were going to be secured to was way out of level here's a picture.

And of course I checked the frame, of the unit, and the 5th wheel frame was level, so that points to they put it together at the factory wrong, its in the floor, we opened up the belly pan, and could see any cross members bent or broken.

There's another problem you have to look at is measurement of the track and h-column here's a picture.

If you go threw what I did, you have enough meat left in the H -column to re drill holes--I had to do that and install a new rack when found out the measurements' and repair work that 4 other repair facility's did , that's why I do not trust any shop now- and do the work now my self now--when working with slide issues you have to start out with the unit level i also make a lot of phone calls to LCI-not Jayco--- after explaining what had happen, they were nice enough to comp me an entire gear system and control module so i could fix the system, and now its working perfect, I also had to add to aluminum pieces of flat stock to the inside of the 5th wheel to prevent excessive H - column twisting when operating the slide, because the hole in the side of the 5th wheel for the large slide to operate in was to large. If you had to pay a real repair facility to do the work I have done and the trouble shooting it would be in the 9,000 to 10,000 range, not counting what Jayco has spent to try to fix it, which has been in the 7,000 range.

Critical to make the 2.5 inch measurement, LCI that makes the component's say plus or minus 1/8, as you can see mine is spot on-2.5.

One of the biggest problems is calling in to Jayco an asking them how to fix it, they always cheap out on the repairs, and on every repair I was on the phone with them - that why if I can do it---I am doing it my self, fee's at RV repair facility's run between 135 to 175 an hr -- we are in the wrong business.

Here's a picture of a bad install when the measurement was not done, and a repair shop just slapped it in.

Also just to let you know that the H-column looking at your slide--left side is riveted in place, and the right side or back floats, those little wheels are just there to keep the gear block floating back and fourth, to keep the gear rail and drive gear engaged properly, if they are not engaged properly here's a picture of what will happen--

The other research that i have done is to look at hundreds of interior photos, and talk to the people that make the slide components-LCI and this is what I found.

Up until recently, most MFG did not put a refrigerator in a slide-LCI say there nuts and asking for problems, If they installed a refrigerator- it was in the middle balancing the weight-makes sense, but a lot and I mean a lot of them do not install on a slide-it was in a fixed position-no moving no problems-and this info also comes from LCI--they are installing these frig's like this just make the sale, the problem if you do run your 5th wheel around is that the road harmonics will cause things like hammering the rollers which will drive them down into the the cheap plywood they use, with that 350 pound empty frig bouncing on top of the rollers, located in a slide that with out the frig in it weighs maybe 800 pounds, and when things start to out on measurement well you know what will happen.

I removed that problem and relocated the frig inside my unit, and down sized to half the size my problem is solved, I have 18,000 miles on the 5th wheel and I haven't traveled this yr at all except for 2 short local trips--my problem is solved--here's another picture of what I did inside just makes sense, and the new location of the smaller fridge is now between the frame rails of the 5th wheel. So now its 350 pounds lighter, and I might add the 11 cu ft frig is the right size it was nice having an ice maker, but we do not miss it-and the 11 cu ft unit use's about half the power, and with out the icemaker in the frig, the 11 cu ft is plenty big enough.

Before and after photos
Attached Thumbnails
20191020_162519.jpg   20201118_160346[1].jpg   20201116_134601[1].jpg   20201101_112637[1].jpg   20201021_130113[1].jpg  

20200423_192416[1].jpg   20201024_141645[1].jpg  
Old 12-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #12

Here's a picture of the reinforcement bracket inside to the H-column
Attached Thumbnails
20201205_131648[1].jpg   20201205_142840[1].jpg