Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2020, 01:15 AM   #1

Generator Security

We're newbies and new to the site. We just got a new 28.5RSTS. We also bought a new inverter generator. How do we keep the generator secure while we're using it? Thanks, Bob & Sabra.
Evoman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Sit next to it all the time with a scowl! LOL

Not really, chain it to something. I have never had a problem but there are stories of them disappearing!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:05 AM   #3

My camping was most often off grid and some favorite camp grounds... I liked to run everything I needed off my large battery bank and only used my 2KW Generator during the morning hours to recharge my battery bank back up to its 90% charge state. This usually takes around three hours of generator run time.

My Generator sits in the tail gate corner of my truck bed. It is secured to the truck inside wall. It is also covered with a lockable folding bed cover that keeps it out of sight when not being used... I pull the 2KW Generator out on my truck tail gate when being used... My generator goes where I go... Never sits unattended at the camp site...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:54 AM   #4

Welcome aboard!

What generator do you have? Some like the small Honda's you can buy a security plate for the handle that makes it more difficult to cut. Many people just chain them to a tree or the TT bumper.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #5

We have a Westinghouse 4500 inverter generator.
Evoman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #6

Your camper already has chains, a bit short but a good spot to tie-in. Get an additional length of chain and a padlock and hook to the end of your tow-chains.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:03 PM   #7

I use a vinyl coated braided steel cable if I leave it out overnight. Sometimes I will stuff it back into my motorhome's storage cabinet depending on where I am camping.

So far so good but I firmly believe that if a thief really wants it, they will get it. A set of good bolt cutters will work I think. No experience with one but if you watch TV they always seem to easily snap a lock like it is butter. Could be that is just how TV portrays it. Real life may take more effort.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoman55 View Post
We're newbies and new to the site. We just got a new 28.5RSTS. We also bought a new inverter generator. How do we keep the generator secure while we're using it? Thanks, Bob & Sabra.
make sure you have the serial # of the unit and take an image for insurance - these items are considered high theft items and the police will not take a theft report if you cannot provide a serial # and the insurance company may not pay the claim if you cannot prove you had one.
Best thing to do is take a video of your trailer and its content's every year . and you should check your insurance policy every year they cut certain things from the policy every year - I found out my 2014 jayco feather light is no longer covered for 100% replacement I am down to 70% next year each year the value goes down..
CamperStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #9

Thank you! Just went a took pictures of my Yamaha inverter and recorded the ser.#.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I use a vinyl coated braided steel cable if I leave it out overnight. Sometimes I will stuff it back into my motorhome's storage cabinet depending on where I am camping.

So far so good but I firmly believe that if a thief really wants it, they will get it. A set of good bolt cutters will work I think. No experience with one but if you watch TV they always seem to easily snap a lock like it is butter. Could be that is just how TV portrays it. Real life may take more effort.
I too use a big cable with a lock. Bolt cutters won’t cut a cable, it just smashes it, you need actual cable cutters to cut a cable. If a thief is carrying around an expensive set of cable cutters for cable that big then your dealing with a very determined fella
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote