Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
Looking for opinion on Eagle Fifth Wheel

We're presently looking at a Jayco Eagle (Residential Comfort) fifth wheel. We found a floor plan we like. We were all excited about trying to make a deal until I discovered it had a large Schwintek slide. I thought I would do a search on the slide because I wasn't familiar with it. I discovered pages of complaints of this slide not working properly. Now the excitement has subsided. Is this system as problematic as I think? Should we try to find a 5th wheel with hydraulic slides? The model we're looking at has a fairly large and heavy slide. I'm trying to get an idea of the failure rate on these units.
I called Lippert, the people that manufacture the slide system. They were extremely helpful. They said if installed properly should have very low failure rates. From what I understand it is very important to have the trailer level and operate the slide fully in and out.
My gut tells me move on. I think the system may be just a little to finicky.
Please provide feedback.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #2

If you haven't already, you may find some information on this site using the search function.

There is lots of information floating around on the internet... and some of it may actually be correct!
But there is a lot of incorrect/bad information, too, that just will not go away.

Hopefully you'll hear from members on this site that can help.

Sherm & Terry w/rescues Steve (std Poodle) & Eydie (min Schnauzer)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights 2015, 90 nights 2016)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
Thanks. I'm mostly hearing good things about Jayco . Yes I'm trying to get an accurate indication to see if I should be concerned or not.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
I've had a few between my current trailer and my previous ones. Never had a problem. In fact, I like it better because the slide doesn't shake as it is extended and retracted. And the motor stops by itself rather than grinding gears. I am no expert, just personal experience. I've never actually had a hydraulic one that I am aware of. Only the type mentioned, and mechanical with an electric motor and gears.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
Site Team
I have a Schwintek slide in my bedroom slide. It is not a huge slide but I have not had any problem at all with it in 3+ years.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 01-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
Thanks for the replies. From what I hear the small slides seem to be trouble free. The larger slides more problems.
The model were looking has a slide out 11' long. Not very long but it has a 12 cu ft fridge, stove, microwave, pantry cupboard, fireplace and a 40" TV. I'm a little concerned about two small motors powering such a heavy slide. The person I spoke to at Lippert said they easily handle much longer slide outs.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
I have 2 Schwintek slides and one other mechanical slide. The large (14ft) kitchen slide has the stove, fridge, TV an fireplace as well as the microwave and most of the kitchen cabinets. The other slide is the bedroom slide. The schwintek system has not given me any problems in the year we have owned it. There have been several post on this forum and most of the issues stem from motor problems. They now have a higher ratio motor that helps with the large slides. Do not think Jayco installs hydraulic slides in any of their trailers.
Craig & Terry in Tennessee
2013 Pinnacle 36 KPTS, Voyager Rear View Camera
2012 F350 CC LB King Ranch, 6.7L TD, Ford 25K hitch, TM TPMS, Diesel Site Coolant Filtration System

Old 01-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
Remember it's easy to search for negative responses, people with problems post the most. People who are not having any issues don't post so the number of negative responses seems much larger.
TV: 2013 F350, Lariat, 4x4, CC, LB, 6.7L Powerstroke
FW: 2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 361 REQS
Additions: Onan 5500W LP Generator, Surge Guard TS,
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Old 01-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
Our bedroom slide is a Schwintek and we have had no problems.
I think you can have problems with any slide system, just the luck of the draw.
2014 321RLTS Eagle Premier
2013 3500 CC DMAX
Old 01-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #10
Thanks everyone. I'm waiting to hear back from Jayco. I want to know if they're using the 500:1 motors in all their larger slides now.

Closed Thread