Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2022, 11:35 AM   #21
Site Team

Mine are 9 years old hardly any wear and never had a flat on any of them. I have been pricing them and also Sailun's.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Mine are 9 years old hardly any wear and never had a flat on any of them. I have been pricing them and also Sailun's.
Sailun’s we’re all just recalled last year. Hopefully they have that fixed. Their price is the selling point vs Goodyears we have. Never figured out why people do not balance replacement trailer tires.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #23

A balanced tire is always better than a tire that is out of balance. The reason that some people do not balance their trailer tires (at least one significant reason) is that the balance weights will not stay on some tire\wheel combinations. I ran into that many years back when someone convinced me to use LT tires instead of ST tires, what would happen is that with sharp turns the tire sidewalls (and wheels) would flex so much as to allow the wheel weight to come off. When that happens and you only lose one weight or even two, the tire becomes more out of balance than had no weights been used at all. I solved the issue I had by going to a shop that used stick on weights inside the wheel. I will add I never had an issue with ST tires that were aired up close to their max PSI rating, which would make sense as the sidewall on an ST tire flexes less and especially much less when they fully aired up. If you run lower air pressure and especially with LT tires, you can see with a sharp turn that the tire flexes away from the rim quite a bit (a steel rim also flexes a lot), which in many cases causes the wheel weights to fall off. ~CA
Old 05-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #24
Site Team

The business needs a Lug Centric balancing machine. Most have hub centric which won’t be as accurate.
Last time I called, G614’s were in short supply and I hope that changes soon.

https://www.tooltopia.com/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 05-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Anybody have there trailer tires balanced when replaced? We run are tires about 10lbs low at the start of a camping run.
I just replaced my GYE with a new set of Endurance. Shop that did it always balances them. Makes sense — why not?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:57 AM   #26
Site Team

I like the Endurance also lately. Come replace time, it will likely be decided by which ones are most available.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-01-2022, 12:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I like the Endurance also lately. Come replace time, it will likely be decided by which ones are most available.
I was a little worried after hearing some folks on here say they couldn’t find them. I told my shop well in advance what I wanted and to double-check the DOT date. They had no problems getting them and they were “fresh.”
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:19 PM   #28

The recalled sailun tires were
From Vietnam the manufacturer
Owned the problem and replaced
Them.
A few years ago Goodyear had
Rv tire issues and sent out the lawyers
Look it up. Since that I’m not a Goodyear fan
Just my opinion
All our best central Florida
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I replaced my Goodyear Endurance tires with Carlisle Trail HD F-rated tires. Their max psi is 95 with a max weight of 3960 lbs per tire. My question is should I still run the max of 95 psi cold pressure even though that far exceeds the max capacity of my trailer? Or is there a load index tire pressure chart I should be using? Seems like max pressure would cause unnecessary bouncing but may be the safest thing to do. Thanks in advance!
They just talked about this on RV magazine. They said to weigh the trailer with everything and fill the new tires to what the manufacture says+20%. look up your GVWR on the trailer and that should be the max, otherwise you are overloading everything if you are above that weight
Old 05-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #30

I'm on 2nd set of balanced, of course, Endurance 215/75E14. Run them at 60 psi, in summer in southwest 55 psi. We average 10-12,000 miles per year and much of that is 65-70 mph. We also have a heavier suspension. When we got the bigger springs I wondered about the effect it would have on this light little trailer flopping around on the highway behind me. So far have found nothing abnormal.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!

Murff
100% murff
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #32

Years ago i let a friend borrow my utility trailer and he brought it back when he was finished. It sat for a short time and when I needed it I hooked up and down the road I went. I loaded it up with lumber to build a shed and now it fully loaded and the tires and almost flat. Fully my fault for not doing a pre check like i should have. However, MY stuff is always kept ready to go for max duty. I found out later that he let some air out of the tires to make it ride smoother and it wasnt carrying much weight in it anyway. That was the last time I loaned ANYTHING I own to anyone for anything.
I want to be able to hook on and go and not have to waste time screwing around with tire pressures for the load it's going to be carrying at that time.
All my vehicles are the same way, max tire pressure per the tire sidewall. I've always had good, even tire wear.
DW drives a G6. It got a nail in the sidewall on a sunday. Ended up at Sam's club getting all 4 replaced, not much tread left on those, 30-35k. The guy at Sam's said they wore out prematurely because I was running them at max psi. So the new tires they put on he instead them to X psi (dont remember but it was much less) and guess what,... didnt make a bit of difference in mileage wear. They were worn out in that same 30-35k range. She did notice 2 things. One, she did have a smoother ride but it seemed soft turning corners, and the other was she wasnt able to go as many miles on a tank of gas.
Her next set of tires were put to the max psi and her MPG went back up. Imagine that. Lol!
Old 05-04-2022, 04:44 PM   #33

It's far better to run at max... Considering you don't have much load margin to begin with. Your tires will run cooler, and that's far better than running warmer at a lower pressure. Plus, your sidewalls will be a touch stiffer as well... Meaning better handling in winds and corners.

Try that for a few thousand miles then check the tread wear of all tires. If they aren't cupped or wearing in the center more than edges, your tire pressure are good for your load.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
It's far better to run at max... Considering you don't have much load margin to begin with. Your tires will run cooler, and that's far better than running warmer at a lower pressure. Plus, your sidewalls will be a touch stiffer as well... Meaning better handling in winds and corners.

Try that for a few thousand miles then check the tread wear of all tires. If they aren't cupped or wearing in the center more than edges, your tire pressure are good for your load.
I was hoping just to enjoy some popcorn on this thread, however...

I am not sure I would worry about my tires "running cooler" by having them inflated to the maximum psi. I also disagree with better handling.

If your tires are inflated to the maximum, and don't need to be, you have less rubber on the road. Not sure how "better handling" could be true with less rubber on the road. And, with maximum air pressure, the trailer is going to bounce a lot more and probably shake a few things loose. I'd rather have MAX rubber on the road in the event I need to stop in a quick hurry.

Over inflation will wear out the center of the tire faster, by the way.

For me, I will continue to weigh the trailer and use the Goodyear Endurance Inflation Chart as advised by the tire manufacturer!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:11 PM   #35

Tire Pressure

My new tires are rated for maximum tire pressure of 95psi.

I was told by the tire/truck store to only run 80# maximum cold pressure, because the rims are aluminum. Both the RV dealer & tire store told me not to exceed 80# cold pressure with aluminum rims.
Jaybird123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird123 View Post
My new tires are rated for maximum tire pressure of 95psi.

I was told by the tire/truck store to only run 80# maximum cold pressure, because the rims are aluminum. Both the RV dealer & tire store told me not to exceed 80# cold pressure with aluminum rims.
The rims are marked for rated air pressure and weight. I've seen aluminum rims with rated air pressures of 150. Depends on the rim. I suggest you look at your rims and find their ratings.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:36 PM   #37

I will check out the rim pressure-Thanks!
Jaybird123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:02 AM   #38

Makes Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
I run my Goodyear Endurance tires according to their load chart...60psi.
Carlisle should have their own pressure chart.

Running at max pressure just makes for a bumpy ride, especially if the tires are unbalanced.
Thanks for info will look my load up with having same tires. Not sure if chart is doing load/tire. I just know total trailer load. ???
Roy
lrhogusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:22 AM   #39
VKC

What does your tire pressure chart on the inside of the drivers door say. Check the pressure when the tires are cool because once you drive a while they will pressure up.
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:27 AM   #40
VKC

Sorry. Trailer pressures are in kitchen cabinets I believe
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote