Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #1

Morningstar ps30 controller

I recently took delivery on a 2014 31.5FBHS and am installing a solar charging system. Can someone tell me what the "load" terminals should connect to or if they are really necessary. My last trailer had a ps-15 and as I recall hooking up the load indication was optional. Has something changed?

Also, has anyone put more than 2 batteries in this FW? My 2 gc2 batteries barely fit in the box even with the sliding floor removed.

Thanks.
ogoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #2

My controller has outputs for connecting to a light or a gate or other device that can be programmed to turn on or off on a schedule.

I have (4) 80 amp batteries in my 5er

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

Thanks Jmooney, not to be dense (any more than I normally am), but I still don't understand the "load" indication or what the wires from that station should attach to.

On my previous trailer I didn't have anything on that station, but the mp30 controller install guide says the load indication should be working before continuing with the install.

Any guidance will be appreciated.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #4

I went and took a quick look at the wiring diagram for a Morningstar controller. It pictured the "load" terminals as being connected to an outdoor light.

Some of these solar systems are sold not only for RV use, but for use in a outdoor application, example: where the street light on your private driveway is run by battery instead of 110v AC. So the battery outputs both charge the battery in the daytime, and provide power back to the load outputs at night for your overhead light.

If you are only using the solar panel to provide charge to your battery , and the battery is still connected to your TT though separate cables already connected to the battery, then you are not going to use the load outputs.

So I'm thinking that you can skip that step and move on.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
I went and took a quick look at the wiring diagram for a Morningstar controller. It pictured the "load" terminals as being connected to an outdoor light.

Some of these solar systems are sold not only for RV use, but for use in a outdoor application, example: where the street light on your private driveway is run by battery instead of 110v AC. So the battery outputs both charge the battery in the daytime, and provide power back to the load outputs at night for your overhead light.

If you are only using the solar panel to provide charge to your battery , and the battery is still connected to your TT though separate cables already connected to the battery, then you are not going to use the load outputs.

So I'm thinking that you can skip that step and move on.
That makes sense, thanks much. That's what I'll do.