Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

Outdoor kitchen Fridge Change Out

Got a 355mbqs with the little outdoor kitchen and fridge. Where the trailer is parked at our lake spot we have no power. I would like to be able to use the outdoor kitchen fridge so looking for some opinions on what to do. I run a 150 watt solar panel and dual 6v.
1. Put a a 1000watt inverter in and a transfer switch and run existing fridge.
2. Replace the fridge with a 12/120v model fridge.

My main question is do I need more batteries and solar panels or should what I have be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.
hymanykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:04 PM   #2

So thought I would share how this turned out so if any what's to do it they can. I added 4 6 volt batteries, so have 450ah. Changed the metal box out to a plastic one, cut the front and built a platform for it to sit on batteries are now easy to get in and out.

The next thing I did was added a second 150w solar panel. Let me tell you tried using well nuts to mount, never again. Had all 4 pull out, wound up getting #10 metal drywall anchors to fill the hole then screwed the panel into those, sealed the heck out of it. Good to go now.

I then added a xantra 15amp transfer switch with sits behind the fridge ran. 15 amp cable to my existing 3000watt modified sine inverter then plug the other end into the power socket.

Fired it and been running for a couple hrs and seems good holding at 0 to 3 degrees Celsius.

If any one wants pics or details let me know.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #3

Just as final update on this... Been running it for 3 days now and chceking the voltage daily. Weather has been a mix of sun and cloud few rain showers. Generally speaking. Voltage in the evening is around 12.8V to 13V, when I check it in the morning I am down to 12.5 to 12.7 (depending if I have run anyhting else in the evening). The other thing I have noticed is the charge controller will run up to 14.0V and then float. This tells me that the input is over the capacity of the draw thru the course of the day. So far very pleased with this. Now the kids can get their drinks and such (Few beers for myself too!) from the side fridge instead of always opening up the 12cu ft. so that should run alot less.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

Sweet! What's the amp or watt draw of the little fridge? Is it compressor driven? Frost or frost free?

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #5

I'd love to do this. The little fridge in our outdoor kitchen holds nothing but beer and I'm in there constantly when camping. Off grid, it's useless to me.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

I've been pondering adding a solar package​ to my 2017 Eagle 293RKDS. Would be great if I could run the little refer while on the road and when booning.

Earl
Old 05-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #7

For us, at the lake we are parked at, we have no power, only generators. Solor has been the best thing yet and having that little fridge as extra storage has been somehting I have wanted to do for years! With the panel, plus 2 extra batteries, transfer switch and supplies cost me about $800cnd. Already had the inverter and such. To put a true 12 volt truck fridge in would have been 2 times the amount as the fridges are close to $1200cnd and I still would have had to get the batteries and solar.

The added bonus when we travel we pack lunch and drinks in the side fridge and quickly grab and go at stops.

To answer the question above, it is one of the PD bar fridges that came with the trailer, its a compressor driven 120V. As for draw I used the yearly usage of 230kW and convered to a daily rate, 630watt draw added 20% to that for wiring and invertor conversion ineff. puts it at 756watts/day. 300 watts of solar at 80% eff. x avergae peak time of 5 hrs/day gives about 1200watts available daily.

From the limited run time I have seen, the draw appear to be less than the 756/day, but as ambient temp goes up the so will the draw but it should be countered by the additional sunshine.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #8

Thanks for the info! Sounds like the same fridge in my 293.

Earl