Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Overflow losing water

Greetings! Need some advice or help on something. I've had my 2015 Eagle HT (29.5) out about a half dozen times. The last couple times I took it out, I thought I must be going crazy....although I had filled the fresh tank, it was down to about half when arriving at our destination. This last weekend I noticed that quite a bit of water was coming out of the overflow from the tank as we were going down the road....especially when any hills are involved.

Anyone else with this problem? Short of clamping it off when not filling....any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
clovdahl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #2

When I have towed with water in the fresh water tank, I have taken a "wire nut" and put it into the end of the overflow tube(s) and that keeps the tank from losing water while towing. May take you some time to find the right size "nut", but it does work. Just remember to take it out when you set up, otherwise you might have a problem with water flow in the trailer.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #3

My first time out, I ran into the same thing! Got to campground and was down 1/3 tank. The sloshing around of all that water during travel caused it to weep out of the overflows. I have two overflows - one for each FW Tank. When I got home, I purchased a couple of barbed hose to 1/2" MPT tube inserts, a couple of hose clamps, and a couple of 1/2" FPT shut-off valves. Soaped up the barbs and slid them into the overflow tubes, secured with the hose clamps, and screwed on the shut-offs.

Now, I leave the valves open while filling - until the water starts running out. Then I close them, and fill my FW tanks until the water gushes out of the fill spout. After a couple days water use, I open the valves back up to allow air into the system to displace the water as I use it. Works like a charm!
Old 09-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #4

It's a known problem.

Cap, plug or tie off the vent lines or you will have 1/2 a tank of FW when you get to your destination.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

Thumbs up Great solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
....When I got home, I purchased a couple of barbed hose to 1/2" MPT tube inserts, a couple of hose clamps, and a couple of 1/2" FPT shut-off valves. Soaped up the barbs and slid them into the overflow tubes, secured with the hose clamps, and screwed on the shut-offs.

Now, I leave the valves open while filling - until the water starts running out. Then I close them, and fill my FW tanks until the water gushes out of the fill spout. After a couple days water use, I open the valves back up to allow air into the system to displace the water as I use it. Works like a charm!
Sounds like a great solution that actually works -- I'm definitely going to try this one!!
Honda EU3000is
DW, DD x 2 (10 y/o twins), DS x 2 (8 & 6 y/o), and "Oscar" the Weiner Dog
rtbreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
My first time out, I ran into the same thing! Got to campground and was down 1/3 tank. The sloshing around of all that water during travel caused it to weep out of the overflows. I have two overflows - one for each FW Tank. When I got home, I purchased a couple of barbed hose to 1/2" MPT tube inserts, a couple of hose clamps, and a couple of 1/2" FPT shut-off valves. Soaped up the barbs and slid them into the overflow tubes, secured with the hose clamps, and screwed on the shut-offs.

You are working too hard. Close the valves and leave them that way. Look carefully at your gravity fill port (where you pour the water in). Low to the left, at about the 7 o'clock position, there is a screen. That lets air in and out of the tank 100% of the time. As long as you are maximum filling the tank, why bother with the extra overflow, close the valves... And then finish filling the tank?

Plus air can get in fast enough to cover the water removed by the pump.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

We had the same issue with ours. We filled out tanks until it came out the overflow valve then went inside the TT eand turned on the faucet until the water flowed normally and all was good when we got to our destination in Show Low from Phoenix. So I do understand your issue with loosing water up the mountains. That worked for us.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
You are working too hard. Close the valves and leave them that way. Look carefully at your gravity fill port (where you pour the water in). Low to the left, at about the 7 o'clock position, there is a screen. That lets air in and out of the tank 100% of the time. As long as you are maximum filling the tank, why bother with the extra overflow, close the valves... And then finish filling the tank?

Plus air can get in fast enough to cover the water removed by the pump.
Amen!! That's exactly what I do!!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #9

A Jayco tech told me about the valves and they work great. I fill til the water begins to run out the overflow tubes then quit filling and shut the valves. He did warn me not to put any additional water into the tank with the valves closed or it would possibly rupture the tank and void the warranty.
mtdawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaking, overflow