Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2017, 04:07 AM   #1

Pinnacle Batteries

Did your Pinnacle come with 2 batteries? Although our late 2015 Pinnacle has 2 battery trays and wiring for 2, we have 1 battery with no marking of size or capacity. (China assumed)

There is an issue with the inverter fault coming on if we travel more than 2 hours. Will this low voltage of 10.5V damage the refrigerator?

We have made only 6 short trips since purchased and this has been an issue since the first trip.

Battery voltage has consistently been 13.5V (unplugged from shore power) at the beginning of each trip.
wellhausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #2

Ours came with two Interstate. The dealer is responsible to install them. Also sounds like your tow vehicle is not supplying 12v to the FW.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
Site Team

The 10.5VDC will have an effect on the inverter output. Most inverters are designed to produce 115VAC with a battery voltage of 13.2 VDC. Unfortunately, when the battery voltage drops to 12VDC (under load) the output of the inverter may be somewhere in the range of 100VAC, when the battery is at 10.5VDC (this is a DEAD battery, SG = 0), and the inverter will shut down.

The Fridge compressor (compressors in general) is designed to run at 110 to 120VAC. When the voltage drops, the compressor has to work harder. Add the known issue that the fridge compressor runs longer and hotter on a regular inverter (non pure sine wave type), the battery will discharge a lot faster.

As mentioned, I would check the output of your TV's trailer plug to see if it is producing the needed voltage/current. Adding another battery of the same mfr/Ah rating may get you a few more hours.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

Anytime you have electric auto leveling and/or an inverter, you will want to have at least two large batteries. If you boondock, even more.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #5

Our rig came with one battery and knew that.

We had the dealer add the 2nd before our PDI.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
jsk

The advice we received during PDI. We have (2)12v batteries. When traveling with inverter on travel 30 min, stop and turn inverter off and travel 1 hour stop and turn inverter on for 30 more min. His reasoning was the fridge is a battery drain and most trucks do not provide enough charge. This seemed a little extreme. I am passing along info. and have no prior experience.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:54 PM   #7

We have a 2015 Pinnacle as well. You are correct two battery trays but my dealer only installed one battery and verbally told me it was my option to install another one. If I knew then what I know now, I would have pushed harder for the second battery. When you spend the money we spend on a Pinnacle, the dealers have room to make your purchase right.

2015 Jayco Pinnacle FLSA & 2008 Chevy Duramax

Anxiously awaiting retirement where I have been told everyday is a Saturday