Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

Satellite question

We own a 2016 Jayco North point 315 rlst. Trying to watch satellite in the basement with the satellite connection. Not sure how to set up the TV to do so and pretty sure you don't need to take receiver outside. Any help is appreciated.
43acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #2

Without asking a bunch more questions, it's going to be hard to say for certain what you have going on. However, with rare exception, you're probably going to need the box out there (especially if we are talking HD). I'm going on the assumption that there is just one "Satellite In" feed on the rig running to a satellite box hooked up somewhere inside and that you are now trying to get that signal to the basement from there. If you have a coax out connection on your sat box, this should be do-able. Many SD boxes have this capability. You could split that output signal to the interior and basement tv's knowing that you would be forced to watch the same channel on both tv's.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #3

There are connections in the basement, one says satellite and the other says cable. I'm assuming my Jayco is prewired to watch satellite outside with the box inside. Just not sure how to do it.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #4

Those jacks are nothing more than extensions of the inputs coming into the rig. You're going to need a box out there for SAT or you're going to have to modify your SAT wiring / connections further up the line accordingly to make the basement port into an output. Are we talking SD or HD satellite here? What outputs are on the back of your SAT receiver?

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #5

In our set up the satellite signal is split in the living room and sends a signal to the bedroom and basement. Because I never plan to use the basement connection I disconnected it to improve the signal to the bedroom. We only have the one std def box in the living room so I use a range extender for the ir (infa red) satellite remote that controls the box. They can be bought at stores like Best Buy. An ir sender sits near the tv in the bedroom and the ir receiver sits in the living room near the satellite box. You use the ir satellite remote and it works perfect. There is a wire type antenna supplied with ours that plugs in to the ir receiver and can hang in front of the satellite box if you can't aim the ir receiver at the right spot.
You could use that set up on the basement tv. They are usually good for up to 100 ft. That does mean that both tvs would be watching the same thing at the same time.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #6

I was hoping that my satellite signal would be split from the living room to the bedroom and basement as mentioned above. Evidently that isn't the case. Thanks for your responses.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #7

Have you looked at the connections behind the distribution hook up plate where the satelitte box hooks in, making sure what connections exist and if all the cables are connected?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #8

I'll check that tomorrow. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and ask a few questions. I would assume all Northpoints and probably Pinnacles are wired the same. I know it wasn't explained during my inspection.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #9

I just did a google search for 2016 north point 351 rsts instead of rlts and got a thread on the jayco forum called north point 377rlba and it has good info about possible solutions have a boo see what you find.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #10

Mine was from the LNB not from the receiver. The Sat connection for each TV needs its own receiver to work. It's a '17 North Point. I have a receiver at each TV. I don't move the receivers between sets.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43acres View Post
I was hoping that my satellite signal would be split from the living room to the bedroom and basement as mentioned above. Evidently that isn't the case. Thanks for your responses.
When you are using the over the air [roof] ant. do you get a good picture on the bedroom tv or at least the same quality as the main tv? If yes then your Rv's internal coax IS connected to send a signal to all TV's. As for the sat ?? are you on Dish or Direct?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #12

Yes, we get a good picture in the bedroom and also in the basement with the aerial. We are on dish Network.