Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

Seeping valves grey an black water

We recently had our unit in the dealership for various warranty repairs, one of which was seeping valves for our grey and black water tanks. The service department told me it was because I need to flush the tanks for 30 minutes that would free up any materials that would be preventing the valves from closing all the way. Now we are on on winter trip and when I opened up one of my grey valves, water came out (not a lot but more than and dribble).

I called the service department back and now they are saying the type of valves that are on our unit have known issues because they use a cabling system. They are sending me a "check" valve that fits on the very end where the hose hooks up to resolve the leaking out when I hook up the hose. In retrospect, it doesn't make any sense that the flushing of the system would help out any issue on the grey valves (and probably not with the black given the poor design). Has any one else encountered the same issue?
Old 12-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #2

My trailer has the same problem It would just leave a tiny bit of water in there all summer until it got much worse when we were coming back from Disney last month. It seemed to not close at all and I left sewage all over one of the overnight sites we were in. Had to change cloths and wash hand a dozen times.

I will be adding one of those valves to the end of the pipe before we go out again. The extra valve we also allow you to equalize your black and grey tanks if you are somewhere with no sewer hook ups

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

Ours is at the dealer right now getting a few minor things fixed from our first year of use. One of those things is our kitchen grey tank leaks and will not hold. Haven't had an issue with the other tanks.

Your dealers story of flushing the tanks is bogus. They just didn't want to pull it apart and fix it correctly, imo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #4

I have the same issue. Not much trickles out, but I put a bucket under valve before I open it.
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #5

One of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...=rv+gate+valve
Another benefit of using one of these is to leave this valve closed while opening up the two gray tank valves to combine both tanks into one (because the shower tank usually fills up faster than the kitchen sink tank). Capich?
Flushing your black tank for 30 minutes is excessive (also bogus, as previously mentioned).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #6

Our kitchen tank has a pretty good leak. It cant hold a full tank over night. We are on a seasonal site all year and camp from march thru november, so we are always hooked up to a sewage line. Took me a while to figure out why kitchen tank never drained on monday morning when i emptied all other tanks. Because it was leaking off over the whole weekend.
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Old 12-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #7

I had the black valve leaking on my last camper. I cleaned it by using a hose end sprayer and cleaning out the slot the valve moved into. I also used a piece of wire to gently probe while flushing out the slot. There was a very small amount of gunk in the valve.

Since you have gray that is also leaking, bet it was bad out of the box.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #8

I have posted this before - I had a black tank valve leaking for a year+. I took it in multiple times to have it looked at/replaced. I finally figured it out on my own. As I would drive down the road, the handle/bar would slowly work it's way just slightly open. I finally noticed and started pushing it in before I opened the cap.

Then I was on a long trip, pulled over for some lunch, and had a horrible smell coming from around the rear of the trailer. Turned out, the handle had worked it's way out enough to fill the 8 foot long pipe that lead back up to the grey tank valve. Then that 8 foot long pipe was only held by one strap above the axles and started to droop from the weight of the water/contents and wore a hole in the pipe. It started leaking over the axles.

This was after a year of fighting with it and the dealer to get it fixed - they worked on it a bunch of times but never figured out the problem.

Finally, they had to replace all of the fittings and the pipe, and add a second strap to hold the pipe up away from the axles. I also now keep a valve on the last connection (same one posted above from Amazon) so I have an extra layer of protection and I still push that black tank valve handle in before I remove the cap.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #9

The black tank valve on our 2017 Eagle 330RSTS also leaks. Our maiden voyage was a 1500 mile trip to Florida and while traveling, I keep at least some water in the fresh water tank to enable us to use the toilet whenever we need. I didn't flush the tank until our second night's stop and when I took the cap off to attach the hose, got about 2 gallons of "yuck" all over the place. Obviously, I was anything but a "happy camper".

I have since also added a Valterra gate valve to prevent that from happening again, but this is number 1 on my punch list of warranty repair items!
Old 12-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #10

Seems to be a pattern, lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Old 12-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Mine doesn't leak yet but by design I'm sure it will eventually. These valves are gate valves. They are serviceable. I'm a woodworker. In my shop I have about two dozen of these type valve for dust collection. While being a different material (galvanized steel) they fail all the same. In my case dust or chips builds up between the front and back of the slide gate and it doesn't completely close. I take them apart and free up any debri stopping the gate from closing And re assemble.

If my valterra valve does start to leak like others have said, I would remove the four bolts holding the assembly together and clean out all the crap then apply some pool and spa lube (not petroleum jelly) and call it a day.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #12

We've also installed the Valtera gate valve at the end of our sewer drain pipe, as the dealer and repair shop will not fix this issue under warranty. They said the residual is due to the owner (me) not leaving the dump valves open long enough for the entire manifold to drain. Not sure if I agreed with that, but no big deal. This valve saved me from getting any sewage surprises, when I open the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
One of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...=rv+gate+valve
Another benefit of using one of these is to leave this valve closed while opening up the two gray tank valves to combine both tanks into one (because the shower tank usually fills up faster than the kitchen sink tank). Capich?
Flushing your black tank for 30 minutes is excessive (also bogus, as previously mentioned).
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
We've also installed the Valtera gate valve at the end of our sewer drain pipe, as the dealer and repair shop will not fix this issue under warranty. They said the residual is due to the owner (me) not leaving the dump valves open long enough for the entire manifold to drain. Not sure if I agreed with that, but no big deal. This valve saved me from getting any sewage surprises, when I open the cap.

They should be able to test this easily - fill the black tank (and grey if needed), leave the cap off with the valves closed and a bucket below the port. If the bucket fills over time, the valves are not holding - they need to fix it.

Personally, I have had great success with emailing Jayco (my dealer suggested) for another issue - Jayco seems to listen to the customers better than dealerships. Worst they can do is say no.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #14

I initially _thought_ I had a leaky gray valve as well. I'd pack up camp, dump, close valves and replace the cover and then when I would next pull the cap off I'd get quite a bit of gray water.

I started experimenting with some different things and realized that if I left the cap off the dump, valves closed, when I would hookup to the tow vehicle (Rig no longer level) I would get up to a gallon coming out of the drain.

Next thing I did was I left the cap off (valves closed) and drove home with a partial gray tank. Once arriving at home I capped off the pipe and let it sit until our next trip several weeks away. When I went to hook up the sewer pipe I got nothing out of the hookup when removing the cap... so I know the valves were not leaking.

At best I can figure is that when my rig is level there is a dip in the pipe that retains some liquid that later makes its way down to the cap. I modified my process on how I do the final dump and no longer have the issue. However I do see some merit in just getting a gate valve for the hookup.

Anyway, some of you might play around with the system a bit before you just assume your valves are bad.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #15
Dan

Like Rustysocket, I've had the same issue with my 355MBQS. I have to put a big plastic bin below the valves when I get to a dump station. Up to a gallon or two pours out when I open the cap to hook-up and dump. Not only is this frustrating and unsanitary, it's pretty embarrassing. I took the trailer in for warranty work and provided the dealer video of what was taking place. They said they "could not replicate" what was happening, and indicated it was due to the valve being closed prematurely. I didn't argue. I'm sure I will be taking more video, but I will try Rustysocket's suggestion.

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 White Hawk 28DSBH (trade-in)
2015 Eagle 355MBQS (trade-in)
2019 Jay Flight 29BHDB
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #16

I have this same issue on my 2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. The dealer took the belly apart, and found that the last 6 ft of PVC before the gate valves was perfectly level, and the water sat there. They suggested to raise the opposite side before pulling out of site with hose attached, so it would all drain out. I bought the twist on gate valve and just make sure I open that last after I attach the stinky hose.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote