Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2015, 03:31 AM   #1

Spring Hanger Plates

I have a 2005 Jayco Eagle 5th wheel. I noticed the hanger plates appear to be slightly bent sideways. The plates are referred to as "jake plates and the springs are adjustable.
I am considering installing a cross member from on hanger to the other. Has anyone had this problem?
rickbauer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #2

What is the function of Jake Plates are you sure you are not talking about jack plates?
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #3

I've not had the problem you describe on my Jayco fifth wheel. However, the frame is reinforced with angle iron which runs from side to side at the spring hanger plates. I bought my trailer new, and that's how it came from the factory.

I think you are right that if your plates are bending, then some reinforcement is needed. I think that this sort of reinforcement is commonly needed due to the forces trailers encounter when making turns.

I wish I could post a picture of my trailer's suspension, but my trailer is not accessible to me at the moment.

I hope you will get more replies with suggestions.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #4

Jake plates

Yes, my 5th wheel is a 2006. I claimed under a Jayco fifth wheel at a dealer lot and noticed a cross bar was put in on later models, going across from left hanger to the right. I am sure Jayco saw a need to make changes. The latest models now have another piece welded to the frame right behind the hanger, which appears to be additional support.
I have a welder and bought some square tubing. Guess it won't hurt to put in this cross piece.
I will take a picture and add it.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #5

If you pull up the product brochure on the 2006 Jayco Fifth Wheel, they advertise what they call the Jake Plate. There are three adjustment holes for the leaf springs, so you can raise your trailer higher or lower. I will try to copy and paste.

  

The height of your tow vehicle will never be a worry.

Eagle fifth wheels feature standard Jake Plate™

adjustable axle hanger plates. Twice as strong as

traditional single spring hangers, they allow you to

adjust the axle height up to 2" to accommodate tow

vehicles of different sizes.