Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
I have the SurgeGuard 30A portable EMS. I am happy with it, use the SurgeGuard clam shell and pad lock to secure it. If I felt I was going to have this TT long term I would probably go with a hard wired unit.

Maybe folks who dry camp with a generator can elaborate, but I recall reading the hard wired units don't like generator produced power. Something about an open ground fault when using a generator. When we use our Honda 2K generator we don't use the EMS...not sure if you can bypass the EMS on a hard wired unit.

2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
That is correct.

Some (most) generators don't like surge protectors because Surge Protectors need a "ground" wire (to bleed off the captured spike). Generator's don't have a grounding rod (driving into the ground) - unless one installs a grounding rod and connects to their generator. To by-pass the non-bonded generators, some folks create a simple M to F plug (short pig tail) adaptor. Very simple DIY task. Within this adaptor, they simply "bond" the white wire and bare (ground) wire together. Thus, making the unbounded generator thinking its grounded. But, their generator still needs a grounding rod - to be fully grounded. Yes. The area of bonded and non-bonded (with each risks) is much more complicated than it appears. If wondering, Google Search will provide lots of official documentation on "generator non-bonded vs bonded" text string.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
We have the Portable Progressive Industries unit that plugs into pedestal.
Been using it Fulltime about a year and a half now, no problems.
Not really worried about it getting stolen, we leave chairs and such outside when we go out for the day.
If we were parked at a seasonal site and away from our RV for extended periods then I would worry about it getting stolen.
Robert & Bale the "Traveling Dog"
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
I want to thank each of you for all these suggestions, ideas and thoughts on surge protection. Y'all have been very helpful. Thank you so much!

archiedh is offline   Reply With Quote