Originally Posted by gtsum2
My 2014 Ram 3500 Megacab came in yesterday, so now I need to decide on the rig behind it. The Eagle HT 29.5BHDS fits the bill perfectly for us (length, double queen beds in back) and price is good, but I am concerned about getting the thing to ride level with my truck. I "think" I can only get 15 inch wheels on the Eagle HT...these new 3500's sit up a good bit too.
Do you think I would have "too much" truck for the HT fifth? Pin weight is only maybe 2000lbs (GVWR of 10k). My payload sticker shows 4034 on the door
The combination of not a lot of pin weight to settle the truck down, and the smaller tires is what has me concerned. What do you all think??
I would suggest considering the Eagle Touring Edition. Here are my reasons;
1) It is slightly one step higher than the HT models but the Touring edition was designed with HT towability in mind. Not too heavy with comparable pin weight.
2) You will get a 10gal Atwood water heater in lieu of 6gal Water heater.
3) If you do a lot of dry camping, the Touring edition comes with 73gal Fresh Water Tank in lieu of 48gal in HT.
4) You will get 50amp power in lieu of 30amp. In most instances, the master bedroom will come prepped for the 2nd AC if you would like that added later.
5) Comes with rear roof ladder standard. Trust me, it will cost you quite a bit to have that as an add on for the HT.
6) Electric rear stabilizer jacks is standard while an option in the HT model.
Unloaded Vehicle weight on HT 29.5BHDS is 7980
Hitch Weight is 1400.
My Touring Edition unloaded Vehicle weight is 8200
Hitch Weight is 1600.
To make you feel ever better, I am towing my Touring edition with a Toyota Tundra. So you already have WAY MORE than enough truck.
Anyway, I went back and forth with the decision to either get a HT or Touring Edition. I was also eyeing the HT 29.5BHDS but for what the Touring Edition was offering, it was a no brainer. The price is actually almost the same or just a couple of thousands more (Contingent on your negotiations skills of course).