Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2016, 05:15 AM   #11

28BHBE in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
I thought 5% was high too, but have never looked into financing anything like this or if credit unions do these.

This one is all aluminum, but i wasn't sure if i was better off waiting and finding a fiberglass model. They are putting this one at $25k and throwing in a weight distributing hitch so they say. Seemed like a decent deal since MSRP says it's 32k (granted i don't know how accurate that really is.)

Yes credit unions do finance these. I'm sure any bank will. My dealer offered me under 3% through Bank of America.

Nothing wrong with aluminum siding.

$25k isn't bad depending on options but you could probably do a little better than $25k. sounds like you need to buy extremely soon so shopping around isn't an option. If you want to compare prices quickly, get an online quote from RVDirect. You can see what they'd charge for a trailer with the same options. Maybe you local dealer will come close.

SouthCo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #12

Boyd,
I know the unit you are looking at. We are just up the road from Crestview and looked at the unit you are talking about. Is the 25K price "out the door"? If not you should be able to do better than 25K. Let me just say we ordered ours with all the options except the skylight and we feel you can do better that 25K.

2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #13

I think you should spend a week or so in a hotel.
Do some more research on floorplans and options.
Don't rush it.
Vaquero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #14

+1 on the 2nd AC. I have the 50A 2nd AC prep, and wish I had just had the dealer work it into the deal to begin with. At least then I could have financed it instead of coming up with cash out of pocket. Installation later doesn't look too bad (I've been looking into it), I think the hardest part will be getting up the nerve to cut that first hole in the roof!

I've had great experiences with Crestview in Selma, that's where we bought ours, and they've always done me right. One minor exception was the hitch they sold me when I bought the trailer. It was a 1000/10000 setup, and it's not really enough for the BHBE when the potential tongue weight can reach 1400 lbs. So I upgraded this year to a Blue Ox SwayPro 1500/15000 and couldn't be happier. Sounds like with the lift your truck has, you'll have to get a deeper drop for your shank no matter what hitch you get. Either the Sway Pro or the Equal-i-zer would be my first choices in 1400/14000 configurations.

Aluminum vs fiberglass is largely personal preference, but I like our aluminum sides.

A hint for sitting and relaxing is to remove the dinette table and slide it between the couch and the dinette. It makes for a comfy "lounge" like area for chilling out. I also made a small drink table for mine last year, but I keep forgetting to use it.

The bunks are easy to get in and out of, but changing sheets is a bit of a chore. I usually just grab the back corner and pull it over, put the corner of the sheet on and let it flop back over. For the top bunk, I've been known to pull the whole mattress down and put the sheet on from ground level and put the mattress with sheet attached back up top. The biggest problem with the bunks is the lack of ventilation. The newer models have a vent above the top bunk (my 2014 does not), but the bottom bunk can get quite stuffy. We solved it with a small clip-on fan.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
, I think the hardest part will be getting up the nerve to cut that first hole in the roof!

Do you not have the standard crank up vent over the bed? If so, the AC just drops in there.
RViBranke2 w/TPMS
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
Do you not have the standard crank up vent over the bed? If so, the AC just drops in there.
Nope, no vent in the master. The only vent in my roof is over the toilet. If there was a vent there, I probably would've already installed another unit. But then the cost would be holding me back a bit too. Those AC units are not cheap.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 10-14-2016, 07:07 AM   #17

Camper Bob,
When I was first looking at purchasing the 28BHBE at our local dealer; the unit on the lot did not have a second AC but was prepped for one. The sales rep stated they could install it for around $750.00 (price is of course expensive/cheap depending on ones own financial position and the feeling of value added).

Since the unit did not have some of the other options we wanted we ended up special ordering the trailer with the second AC installed along with the other options we wanted.
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
Old 10-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
Camper Bob,
When I was first looking at purchasing the 28BHBE at our local dealer; the unit on the lot did not have a second AC but was prepped for one. The sales rep stated they could install it for around $750.00 (price is of course expensive/cheap depending on ones own financial position and the feeling of value added).

Since the unit did not have some of the other options we wanted we ended up special ordering the trailer with the second AC installed along with the other options we wanted.
Was that at Crestview? That's actually not too bad depending on which unit they install. If it's the Coleman Mach (just like the one that came on it), I would certainly consider having them do it. I haven't gotten serious about pricing it out yet, I've just been shopping the units online. I figured the cost installed at the dealer would be prohibitive, so I was planning to do it myself after calling a dealer to verify my fears (and to satisfy DW). But it looks like I'll have to call over there and find out.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 10-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #19

Camper Bob, yes that was at Crestview and I believe it was the Coleman Mach. It would be only be for the front bedroom. The way they are installed it is not ducted and controls would be on the unit -non thermostat on wall
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
Camper Bob, yes that was at Crestview and I believe it was the Coleman Mach. It would be only be for the front bedroom. The way they are installed it is not ducted and controls would be on the unit -non thermostat on wall
Interesting!! Thanks for the info!

I was fiddling with the duct work up there not long ago, and it seems that it would be super easy to duct in the second unit. I wonder if that's how they come from the factory? If you have a "chill grill" installed like the main unit has, you can dump most of the air in the bedroom if you want, or you can close off the dumps and let it all go through the ducts.

Maybe I can get them to install the outside unit only, and I can do the rest of the install and clean up the trim myself? That way I could have it ducted in if I wanted... And they would be doing all the hardest parts of the install. It would be nice to have it ducted in, but not strictly necessary I guess...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE