Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2017, 01:33 AM   #1

BLACK tank / anti freeze

Hi everyone. Newbie Baja owners here. We are heading from Lillooet Canada to Oregon on Thursday. I noticed that overnight it could be -1 in Astoria and there may be some snow. I've posted this before about waiting until the last day to D winterize our 18 foot travel trailer but I've made a decision that it's just too risky and I think we won't de- winterize. What do you think? The temperatures here are fine but it looks like in Astoria and Cannon Beach overnight temperatures could be in the minus. That's where we are going to be staying. We're new at this and it's brand-new and we had a multitude of learning curves and a few problems so far and we really just want to have a nice vacation. We are very stressed out law enforcement couple and we really need this time away. We barely get any. Having said, that I know that we can use our black tank if we bring water jugs and pour it down. We would only use it for night time pee pee. LOL. Lol
How much anti-freeze do you think we should put in the black tank to make sure the fluids do not freeze? Our black tank is only 9 gallons. There are Full hook ups including sewer at every place we have reserved.
We leave Tuesday. Would REALLY appreciate some help on this one. Many thanks.
J&H
theroofshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:32 AM   #2

I looked at the weather in Astoria and I have to assume you are looking at weather forecasted temperature in Celsius as -1 degrees.

If this is the case, and you will be using the heat in your trailer, you should be fine to dewinterize your trailer. It's not likely a trailer in use will freeze when barely reaching freezing temps.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #3

You don't have to worry with temps barely below freezing. No need for antifreeze in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #4

Are you talking -1 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? if Celsius, do not worry to much about it, if the day time highs are above freezing. I commonly go out in the 20+ish degree (Fahrenheit). I fill my FW tank full for night use and disconnect the hose at night, so I so not worry about the hose freezing. The tanks take a lot of time to freeze, as there is a lot of thermal mass, and water freezes from the top down. Do fill your tanks then dump them, do not leave the tank wide open to the full hookups or you will have issues with poop piles.

If you are talking Fahrenheit, I would not put any water in your tanks as I would be concerned about freezing. Then I would get a couple jugs of ether RV antifreeze or windshield wiper fluid and flush with that.

Have fun!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #5

I would agree with what others have indicated - you should be fine de-winterized. The 10-day forecast for Astoria tonight shows lows in the low to mid-30's Fahrenheit. Keep some heat in the trailer overnight - if you have full hook-ups then a small electric heater works well and saves on propane. Most of the outlets are on 15amp breakers so we run it on a low or medium setting - 600-900 watts. Since you have a Baja edition you have an enclosed underbelly. While the underbelly is not heated being enclosed does provide some additional protection for the holding tanks. If the fresh water tank is like my 195RB Baja it's above the floor so interior heat does protect that.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:32 AM   #6

I doubt very much the coast will see 32deg. while your there if by chance it does the most you'll see is a light frost. Chances are you'll be parked under a canopy of trees and that should keep you a little warmer.