Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #31
I prefer State Parks in Wisconsin and Minnesota that have electric + often a degree of privacy and shade.

Larry J

LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #32
When we're traveling with the TT, we look for full service along the way and (hopefully) at the destination. It makes it easier with DW and kids and FS campgrounds are generally easy to get in and out of with a larger trailer.

Locally, we stay at provincial parks with electrical-only and have no problem. We've did tenting and PUPs in the heat and decided that A/C is a requirement.

I'm not brave enough to boondock (pretty sure I'd drain the battery) and not willing to invest in a bookdocking power solution.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #33
I like both. To me they are 2 completely different experiences. I enjoy full hookups because it's easy. Usually with groups of friends which include potlucks and cocktails and lots of laughter. Boon docking for me is usually in an isolate location surrounded by beauty. Either solo with the family or a few other friends and their rigs. It's more work, but I love the solitude.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #34
For camping I prefer to get away which means there are no hook ups. My brother in law always says you aren't "camping" unless you're in a tent or sleeping under the stars. Claims you need a danger factor of being eaten. I prefer our little happy medium. We are looking forward to getting a bigger unit and doing 5+ day road trips to destinations such as the PNW coast and avoiding hotels and utilizing full hook ups.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #35
Dry camping. On the road full service is helpful when putting in long days but some of those full service campgrounds are butt ugly parking lots

Have to admit in Tuscon we were at a electric campground. No water no sewer but we could run the a/c without the genny
It's fun watching people struggle with a full size 5th wheel at the Cave Spring Campground in Sedona.
2012 Honda Ridgeline
2016 195 RB.. 10,500 miles under tires as of today.
Been down many a dirt road in the west. We go where not too many rv'ers go.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #36
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Boondocking (can you tell from my sig line?) In March I spent my first week at a full service "resort" style campground in years.. (won the stay) really hated it .. packed in tight with people could not wait to get out of there and back to open country where I could see the sky at night and the horizon during the day
I will have full hookups all this summer, but it's a maintenance host position at a state park, and I'm on the day-use side. When the gate closes in the evening, I have the entire park to myself until 7:30 AM, which is pretty darned cool. It's definitely not an RV park. Those suck. In my opinion. HaHa.

It is nice to get a full hookup site in exchange for a few hours of work each week. I need the exercise, and with all the mowing, weed whacking and other stuff, I'm getting a good workout. No gym fees, either.
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:49 PM   #37
We like to mix it up from time to time though we lean towards full hook-ups when we are going to be at the same place for a longer period of time. Added a second battery and invested in a small 2kW inverter generator and a 32gal 4-wheel tote so that we have the option to stay where we want. We aren't letting the small holding tanks dictate, at least within reason, where we camp.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition
TV: 2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn CC, 5.7L Hemi, 3.21, Factory Air Suspension/Tow Pkg, Andersen WD/SC
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:13 AM   #38
Full hookups for us as we have a very small black tank. DW likes her privacy . State parks in Tennessee usually have water and elc. We have a portable black tank so i usually have to make a trip to the dump station. Don't care for boondock, that's why we don't tent camp anymore
TT 2016 SLX195RB
TV 2016 Colorado CC
RP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #39
We are surprised we can run four days on one battery without recharge or generator support
10 days on 1 small propane tank
We use campground bathrooms except at 2 am and number 2 is to be avoided in the unit
We have a small used TP bag in a basket
A 5 gal bucket takes care of grey water when needed
If we were truly to boondock we'd use wag bags for#2
However we are not long term in one place. We're at Grand Canyon for four days
2012 Honda Ridgeline
2016 195 RB.. 10,500 miles under tires as of today.
Been down many a dirt road in the west. We go where not too many rv'ers go.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #40
Electric is a requirement for us. In the summer we want AC, in the winter we want electric heat.

If we are only staying for 3-4 days, I can get by with nothing else. If staying longer than 3-4 days, water is a must and sewer is highly preferred.

That being said, we have a favorite campground right on a lake that we usually take several long weekend trips and one minimum 7 day trip. They have water and electric, so we need to pay for the honey pot to come 2-3 times during the longer trip.

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote