Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 102
EPDM or TPO roof ???

I am going to have my insurance replace the roof membrane on my 2013 Jayflight due to some unexpected tears from something not sure what. Anyway the dealer said that they would put the factory TPO back on or they could put on the EPDM which is a little thicker. What would be best , I have never had a rubber roof replaced before so I need some insight from the ones who have.Thanks
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayflight 32bhds , Outside kitchen,Bike/Cargo rack,thermal pkg,elite pkg,elec stab jacks,outside grill,pwr awning,roof ladder,hideabed sofa,technology pkg,15k btu A/C upgrade,8,367lbs dry wt
1994 Chevrolet Crew cab dually 6.5td,auto,silverado
turbo-power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Camping Couple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-power View Post
I am going to have my insurance replace the roof membrane on my 2013 Jayflight due to some unexpected tears from something not sure what. Anyway the dealer said that they would put the factory TPO back on or they could put on the EPDM which is a little thicker. What would be best , I have never had a rubber roof replaced before so I need some insight from the ones who have.Thanks

Insurance? Shouldn't this be a warranty claim for unexpected tears? It's a 2013 and the roof is covered for 12 yrs.
__________________

__________________

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,172
The Alpha-Ply TPO on my trailer has been great. Only 2 year old so I can't validate longevity, I do appreciate the fact it doesn't chalk the way my previous EPDM FUD. It seems to be a bit sturdier, at least it isn't "squishy", and not as slick like the EPDM was. I like the orange peel texture on the Alpha Ply TPO.
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Hitch Pin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 464
The roof should still be under warranty, unless you done something to cause the tears, if you didn't I would call Jayco about the warranty.
__________________
2015 Jay Flight 23 RB
2014 Silverado LT 1500 with a 5.3 V8 Ecotec3
Hitch Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
lx22f/c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Friendswood
Posts: 914
When i had my roof replaced last year(storm damage) it had a tpo on it. When the repair shop took off the factory roof they found lots of rotted wood. No apparent leaks could be found. The shop said it was from the roof "sweating". They claimed the felt backing on the tpo membrane was holding moisture therefore causing rot. We went back with epdm to stop that problem. Jayco had alot of problems in the years 06-09 tpo roofs. I think jayco quit using it(tpo) for some time. So do some research before deciding which way to go. Hope this helps.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
When i had my roof replaced last year(storm damage) it had a tpo on it. When the repair shop took off the factory roof they found lots of rotted wood. No apparent leaks could be found. The shop said it was from the roof "sweating". They claimed the felt backing on the tpo membrane was holding moisture therefore causing rot. We went back with epdm to stop that problem. Jayco had alot of problems in the years 06-09 tpo roofs. I think jayco quit using it(tpo) for some time. So do some research before deciding which way to go. Hope this helps.
Great point...the Alpha Ply TPO I mentioned is not felt backed. Felt backed roofing can cause water to wick and create significant damage.
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Hitch Pin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 464
Our new 2015 Jay Flight 23RB has Diflex II on it,


Diflex II™ is a new non-fleece backed TPO membrane from Dicor the RV Roofing Experts. Unlike standard TPO, Diflex II™ is extremely flexible and is as supple as most EPDM. It easily conforms to most RV roofing surfaces for a snug, tight fit. Diflex II™ is embossed with a light pebble pattern to dull harsh reflections and provide a classic look.


DiFlex II Non-Fleece Backed TPO Roofing System: All the Advantages of EPDM

• DiFlex II contains no plasticizers to migrate.

• DiFlex II remains flexible throughout its lifetime.

• DiFlex II is UV resistant throughout its lifetime.

• DiFlex II remains flexible to resist hail damage throughout its lifetime.

• DiFlex II is even flexible in cold weather and less prone to cracking.

• DiFlex II is easily repairable throughout its lifetime.

• DiFlex II is not effected by ponding water.

• DiFlex II is not effected by environmental contaminants.
__________________
2015 Jay Flight 23 RB
2014 Silverado LT 1500 with a 5.3 V8 Ecotec3
Hitch Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 102
I did snag a limb or something not sure we did not find out until we got home from our last trip and I know it happened on that trip.

My trailer has the Alpha systems TPO roof membrane with no backing. I wonder why Jayco changed to the Diflex for 2015 maybe problems,or costs ?
__________________
2013 Jayflight 32bhds , Outside kitchen,Bike/Cargo rack,thermal pkg,elite pkg,elec stab jacks,outside grill,pwr awning,roof ladder,hideabed sofa,technology pkg,15k btu A/C upgrade,8,367lbs dry wt
1994 Chevrolet Crew cab dually 6.5td,auto,silverado
turbo-power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Hitch Pin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-power View Post
I did snag a limb or something not sure we did not find out until we got home from our last trip and I know it happened on that trip.

My trailer has the Alpha systems TPO roof membrane with no backing. I wonder why Jayco changed to the Diflex for 2015 maybe problems,or costs ?

I ask them the same question, this is what I was told, they said the Diflex II was much more durable than the Alpha systems TPO roof membrane. Most of the things listed in the other post I made about the Diflex II, Alpha systems TPO don't have.
__________________
2015 Jay Flight 23 RB
2014 Silverado LT 1500 with a 5.3 V8 Ecotec3
Hitch Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-power View Post
I wonder why Jayco changed to the Diflex for 2015 maybe problems,or costs ?
I would say costs.
__________________

__________________
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HEMI
2̶0̶1̶4̶ ̶J̶a̶y̶ ̶F̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶X̶1̶9̶H̶
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.