Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Fiberglass Sidewalls with Frameless Windows

After a lot or research and looking at trailers, we are close to purchasing a 2015 Jay Flight 26BHS. We currently have a 2000 Jayco Qwest 244 Bunk House. The kids have outgrown the narrow bunks and we really want a slide and a bigger water tank.

I am torn between the Fiberglass/Aluminum sidewalls. I know there are pros and Cons to each. I really like the look of the fiberglass but worry about delamination.

I want to hear from those who have a Jay Flight with the Fiberglass Sidewalls. Have you had any delamination problems? How is the fiberglass holding up? Any discoloration? Would you buy the fiberglass again? Thank you!
ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #2

I'm on my third fiberglass unit (they are all made the same with the vacu-bond process) since 1995 with about 6 years between each trade and have never had any problems. I also know many people with fiberglass sides that haven' had any problems as well. As long as you keep the roof and other areas sealed you won't have any issues.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
(they are all made the same with the vacu-bond process)
Unless this changed for MY 2015, I called Jayco to confirm the new fiberglass option (offered starting with MY 2014) on the JayFlights was the same vacuum bonded process used in there other lines. I was disappointed to find out it was not the same process. Additionally in the JayFlight line fiberglass walls are hung over the same wood frame, not an aluminum frame.

Again I called last summer to Jayco, don't just take my work for it call them if you can.

I don't have any reason to think the process and construction is inferior to the other lines, it's just different. The JayFlight fiberglass has been available for just over a year, not really enough time to give it a true test.

For me, in the end it didn't matter since we found exactly what we wanted as a private party used unit. Couldn't pass up the savings over new.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueckh View Post
How is the fiberglass holding up? Any discoloration? Would you buy the fiberglass again? Thank you!
2010 Hybrid and fiberglass, and it looks as good as brand new with no discoloration, no cracks or chips. Love the smooth sleek look and easy to wax. I would buy again with no question.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #5

I am a structural engineer by profession for better than 30 years. I had the option of buying the fiberglass sidewalls on my new Jayco. The fiberglass walls are a new option for the Jayflights which are typically wood framed. Since the Jayflights are constructed in one factory, I doubt they switch from wood to aluminum framing for fiberglass sidewalls. The typical aluminum sidewalls are nailed, stapled or screwed into the wood framing. I don't see any nails/staples or screws in the fiberglass so they must be glued. It doesnt take an engineer to tell you that metal fasteners of any type are better than glue.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
Site Team

As said the fiberglass sidewall option on the Jayflights has only been offered for a short time, so not much history out there yet. The option adds about 1600 bucks to the MSRP.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote