Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #11

2010 Jayco Feather Sport 22'6" DrawTite,12,000 lbs.
2011 Ford F-150 XLT SCab 4x4 Tow Package
"If you can't be smart; be stubborn.". DG.
SecretCoveDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
Xavblk, I recently did what you are planning to our X17a. I used 1/2 inch cabinet grade plywood and covered the whole floor and had only 1 seam which I made sure was over a floor joist. Mine too is the luan and foam floor but it does have 2x2 joist running the full width of the camper but they are not spaced equally. I was able to get a drawing of the floor framing emailed to me from Jayco. Using that I found a joist by using a holesaw thru the first layer of luan and partially uncovered a joist. From there I was able to measure and locate the centers of the others. I did all this so I could put screws into something solid and not foam. Be sure to countersink the heads of the screws and cover with floor patch so they don't show thru the new vinyl floor. By the way, my door threshold was 1/2 higher than the floor so now it is exactly level. I didn't use adhesive, but looking back I wish I had used some liquid nail or sub floor adhesive. It may have added some strength. To get a good fit on your plywood and flooring, lay 8 1/2 x 11 printer paper around the floor outlining the entire area. Overlap the paper sheets and tape together, cutting odd shapes out with scissors. Patience will pay off with a good fit for the vinyl. After going all the way around, carefully remove the paper and take to a large flat floor such as a garage to use as a template. After cutting, I took the vinyl (one piece) into the TT and carefully laid it out into position without any glue, then I rolled back one half and spread the glue under that part and then rolled it back over the glue and repeated for the other side. All the cabinet doors fit without cutting them off, but I did remove them while working. The fit around the walls and cabinets was good enough that didn't need molding, just a narrow bead of brown caulking. Take your time and it will be well worth the work. I also like ALJO's suggestion of the laminate flooring if will completely span the soft spots. I believe this type floor "floats" so adhesive and screws wouldn't be needed and no vinyl either. Good luck!! L.W.

Larry and Carol
2003 Jayco Kiwi 17A
1994 Ford F250
el-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote