Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

Heading North

I'm new to the Owner's Forum, so please forgive any faux pas on my part.
We have a 2015 Jay Flight 34FKDS. It was presented as being "All Seasons."We will be heading north from Southern California to Ellensburg, Washington on or around April 1st. I've checked weather temperature averages, which show the possibility of overnight freezing temperatures. How low of tempertures and for how long before I become concerned about freezing?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #2

If you are staying in it and have the heat on you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #3

Thank You
Old 02-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #4

Heading North

Thanks for the response.
aging potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

The furnace heats the area below the trailer floor and above the under belly covering and that's the area where the tanks and water lines are located.

As farnik78 said, if you using the furnace, you should be fine. However, keep in mind that when you are on the road, it won't take long to loose that heat.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #6

Friends who've RVed for decades have talked about camping when forecasts were for below freezing temps at night. They were the only ones in the campground who took precautions, and they paid off because the next morning there was lots of gnashing of teeth from owners of trailers whose plumbing had split. I guess I'd be safe and do some preparations rather than be sorry.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #7

We are into our second year of winter RV'ing in South Dakota where we are Camp Hosts all year. The following points are based on our experience and opinions. Jayco is one of the best prepared four season basement! We have had several RVers with other manufacturers' all weather packages freeze up and present several mechanical issues. Now while Jayco does well, they are not impenetrable; in South Dakota we had -20 temps with -40 wind chills. Our Pinnacle is perfect down to about 10F but to endure past this point, I run one space heater in the main storage, one behind the fresh water tank (near the front axle) and a heat lamp on my water panel. I also have a remote temp sensor on the bottom side of my fresh tank. We have never skirted because we also experience 70 mph winds almost monthly and don't want snaps, velcro or clips along the RV. Admittedly we did freeze up twice; bad times but more accolades to Jayco. When our neighbors froze, they had broken pipes and cracked tanks almost instantly. After two hard freezes (one for 3 days), we thawed and had zero damage because Jayco uses quality, flexible plumbing in the areas of concern. We were never cold inside, the furnace system kept us perfectly warm.

So long story short, be careful, even with the four Seasons package when temps get to single digits and below, do a little preparation (strategic heaters) but rest assured your Jayco is the best rig to combat a northern tier winter.

BTW, we never thought we would ever winter RV but it is truly a unique and amazing experience. One of our best days, we sat in the front LR all the blinds open and firplace going as we were buried in 18" of fresh snow. Our Pinnacle igloo made it warm and fun!

2015 Jayco Pinnacle FLSA & 2008 Chevy Duramax

Anxiously awaiting retirement where I have been told everyday is a Saturday