Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #21
Site Team
''when I pressed down water came up, you could feel water underneath as shown in video.''

This would scare me. Water trapped under the roof membrane WILL cause rot. and roof repair is not easy or cheap.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #22
I'm not trying to be a downer, but personally I would stay away from ANYTHING with water damage, especially if it hasn't been properly fixed yet. Unless you get it for extremely cheap and you have lots of money to spend on repairs or are very handy. Water inside a trailer is like a virus. You will never know the full extent of the damage until you tear it all apart. Just my opinion. Good luck!

UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #23
I would pass on this one....There will be better ones for $5K...
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #24
Site Team
I agree with the others. Keep looking. Along with the water under roof and bad frig, questionable tires, Ac issue, consider also the rubber roof could be nearing the end of its service life at 15 years old or so. Too much money for that trailer.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #25
Do RV A/C systems have contactors (big relays) like home systems? The one I was looking at cools just fine, but can't be controlled by thermostat. The seller replaced the systems board and thermostat and it didn't change anything.

A home system uses the low volt signal from thermostat to energize an electromagnet which causes triggers the contactor to close, which switches the heavy duty circuit on. Removing the trigger low voltage turns it off.

Anyone know if the RV system is similar design typically?
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #26
Oh and thanks for input. I mentioned via email that upon inspection I would only see that unit with its various issues being worth half the asking price. They countered to $3k but I'm getting less interested the more I think about it. Tent camping is good this time of year anyway...no hurry.

After the dog damaged the roof a bit, he got 5 gallons of some coating stuff and did a coat on the roof. Are y'all saying the whole deal has to be replaced in X years (sooner in Houston where the sun is pretty darn strong)? If that is the case, I'm not going to touch it.

We did like the owners and they had obviously kept it up for the most part. It didn't have any "driver error" bangs that are pretty common, the ceiling was great and no musty smell (yet). It appeared that the water was trapped under a very thin surface layer on a thicker under layer..where the damn dog had scratched it.

The propane tanks were new, he painted the hitch / tongue, the refridge and a/c and roof are all not small problems however.

All the used trailers in this price range are typically going to have issues. Just have to pick poison I guess. This one being nearly 15 years old has its share.

some of the sellers of these things are like worse than used car salesmen as my area has some folks who wheel and deal TT's.
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #27
For $2500, it may be a more reasonable risk. That roof damage with the water being squeezed out of it would still worry me, but if you're up to buying cheap and removing/replacing part of the roof section, it may be worth it in the long run, assuming all else is ok.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #28
From what I see, I don't know how the roof could keep from leaking. The roof don't look very good to me, looks like it needs replaced.
2015 Jay Flight 23 RB
2014 Silverado LT 1500 with a 5.3 V8 Ecotec3
Hitch Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #29
as one of the other posters said, too many used campers out there.. That one looks like a whole lot of trouble down the road.
2013 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2002 Yukon 5.3L Vortex w/tow package

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #30
Run away! Sounds like it has too many negatives. Keep looking.

2014 Jayco Whithawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 SCREW 5.0 XLT XTR Off Road package, 3.73 EL, tow package, Peragon retractable cover.
DJL1967 is offline   Reply With Quote