Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #1

Jayco Jay Flight Swift 198RD Questions

Hello All,

I am on the fence about the above TT and wanted to solicit some input from those that own or have owned this TT. I don't get to camp as much as I'd like due to time constraints and it's only me and my wife and a small dog when we do go, so space wise I'm not concerned too much. The concern I have is with the non-ducted AC and how loud it is when running. I have had a couple of TT's with non-ducted AC's and they were fairly loud, especially the one that had the Dometic Low Profile series. You couldn't hear the TV or really carry on a good conversation when running. Also, it would freeze up on occasion and was only about 5 months old when it occurred. Took it back to dealer and they informed me that you need to run it on high with the thermostat at it's coldest point to eliminate this from occurring. Not sure about that but that's what I was told. The TT I'm looking at has the upgraded 15k BTU unit. So how do you that have owned this unit feel about the AC units in them? Are they reasonably loud or is it intrusive to activities on the inside? Have you had any issues with it freezing up and do you run it on high or can you regulate the air flow and temperature?

I think that's my only concern with the unit, everything else looks to be self explantory and straight forward. Of course I value any opinion provided pro or con to this unit so feel free to chime in and let me know what you think of it.

thanks,
Scott
slogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #2

I also should have added that the TT that I am looking at is a 5 hour drive for me so don't want to drive that far to plug up the TT and fire up the AC to see how loud it was. I'm still trying to find one closer by that I could test out but haven't had any luck yet.

Thanks
Scott
slogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #3

I just recently purchased the 198RD, I have only had it on during our PDI and once at home. It is not annoyingly loud, but you can definitely hear it. This is my first TT so I really don't have anything to compare it to, but I don't recall having to speak over it.
scrawf7 is offline   Reply With Quote