Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #11

I install septic tanks on occasion and I get that rubber stuff ..last for ever...at septic supply house. 30 ft wide by 2-300 ft long. Only buy what you need. We also use it in shower stall floors. It's used to make large water ponds and used to line large acres big sewage ponds. They have a glue for necessary seams. RV top would only be $120 or so.

Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
I install septic tanks on occasion and I get that rubber stuff ..last for ever...at septic supply house. 30 ft wide by 2-300 ft long. Only buy what you need. We also use it in shower stall floors. It's used to make large water ponds and used to line large acres big sewage ponds. They have a glue for necessary seams. RV top would only be $120 or so.
Hey Tex, I had already had that suggested and loved the idea but all I can find is black, do you know if it also comes in at least grey?

BNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #13

Never seen grey...paint it.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
Never seen grey...paint it.
I may consider your suggestion, the cost for commercial TPO is going to be just under $550 after tax, that's for enough to do 600 Square feet and includes the adhesive, not bad but.... it's a 6' x 100' roll minimum and I will need to use a heat welder to close the seams. I'm sure it won't be a big deal but I would prefer a full layer and the cost is basically the same as the actual DIMs offered by the RV dealership.

I could go with the pond liner/septic bed liner and use Dicor roof sealant to turn it white.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #15

It will be your last roof. I recently installed a 20 x 26 ft piece over a porch that's over a living area. Put under the siding as the flashing. It's poured several times since then. No leaks.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #16

I'll weigh the options and see what happens. I'm trying to get the actual TPO if I can because I do want to sell the trailer but obviously cost is going to be a factor given the amount of work I want to do before I do sell. If I can get the TPO in a length I need and not have to go for the full 100' roll, that'd put the price in the range I'm budgeting for. We'll see...
Old 09-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #17

Well the work began over the weekend (Sept 07) and so far I have removed the A/C unit, all roof vents and pulled up the TPO on the tail of the trailer. I have found that the A/C gasket did leak but not because it was loose, it leaked because it was not installed correctly at the factory and the first time it became an issue was during the very harsh winter (2013 - 2014). Prior to this and since the trailer was purchased new in 2003, the winters here have not been particularly harsh like this one was so the snow load and ice was never a concern. Anyway, the good news is the TPO is still in amazing shape so I may not need to replace it but I will definitely need to replace all the the wood on the roof. The trailer has 1/4" plywood on it so I guess that'll be what I replace it with.

Stay tuned!!
Old 09-09-2014, 06:08 AM   #18
Site Team

I know its easy to spend someone else`s money but I would probably replace the roof material while I had everything torn down since it is a considerable undertaking. There are places you can buy the material in 9'6'' ft widths and have cut to length.

Just one example,
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ms-38-1484.htm
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #19

An update on the progress. I've only had a few hours a couple of nights a week to work on the trailer but I've managed to accomplish a lot.
for the 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23b, the roof and ceiling are a one piece constructed which means the entire roof needs to come off either way in order to repair it as everything is bonded by glue making it impossible to just replace sections without damaging surrounding areas when removing the damaged spots. In my case the whole roof is damaged and some of the ceiling.
At this point the roof it's ready to be lifted off after having done everything to free it from the sidewalls, the overhead cabinets, the bathroom walls and the refrigerator enclosure.
So far the cost has been reserved to just the tools I've needed to get this far; heatgun, scrapers and Robertson screw bits.
To replace the materials in the roof, the cost will hit about $400 for plywood and styrofoam for the entire ceiling and roof. From there I'll need to add in the cost for the ceiling covering, screws and adhesives. I'm thinking that the roof itself should come in under $1000 without replacing the TPO.
I'll keep you all up to date.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #20

I contacted Jayco for blueprints and they sent me the wrong ones, I had to make my own so the result was that I needed to tear the roof apart to find all the wire channels, backing plates, proper construction of the structure itself and placement of everything that is buried inside the roof. I have tons of pictures and measurements too. I hope to post as much as I can when I am done with the roof.
As for the floor, that's likely going to be on hold until next fall because the walls will all have to be jacked up so that the floor structure can be done. It's exactly the same construction as the roof.

Tags
ceiling sags, floor repair, roof leak, water damage