Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #1

Major Kiwi 23b Repairs

I may be new to trailer repairs but I'm not new to computers and web forums, it'd be cool to know you've been logged out before you attempt to publish your thread don't ya think??

Anyways. 2003 Jayco 23b Kiwi with roof, ceiling and floor water damage. I also need to replace both bunk ends. I want to to tackle this on my own but am not at all the handiest guy. I am not going to list , again, all the materials I think I need to do the job nor am I going to go into huge detail about where the damage is, it doesn't matter as I want everyone to assume I am doing a full replacement of the roof (keeping the current rubber though), the ceiling and the floor plus both bunk ends. I plan to reuse as much of the current hardware as I can. Truthfully, I won't know the extent of the damages until I tear it down. The damages were in part done over time and expedited through a very long and heavy 2013/14 Canadian style winter that we've not seen since I bought the trailer new in 2003.

- If anyone has had similar experience with the a similar or exact model and knows the steps, practices and tools I need to get these things done, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated even from multiple sources; for example, tips and tricks to removing cabinets, trim pieces, moldings, the tub in the bathroom and so on. What worked best for others that have previously tackled this, what I should avoid to not have the headaches others have had and so....

Thanks people and sorry for being kinda snappy, I've been trying to post this for 5 hours now between typing, stepping away to make supper and then having to start all over again because I've bee auto logged off but didn't know it. That sucks really huge!

As the advice pours in (I hope) I will expand on questions I have and hopefully will calm down from my current aggravated state.

BNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
Site Team

In order to stay logged on, simply click on the "remember me" box when logging in.

Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If your 2003 Kiwi has the TPO roofing material with the fleece backing, I would consider replacing it with one of the newer "none-fleece" materials, because the fleece backing will wick moisture all over the wood roofing structure (if it hasn't already). Jayco used this particular TPO roofing material around the 2003 to 2007 model years and Jayco did have some issues with it when addressing water leak warranty claims (mine did).

Just food for thought....., especially if you plan to keep the Kiwi after making your repairs.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #4

Hey Crabman, good to know. It was very frusterating
Old 08-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #5

I thought the rubber was EDMP but I am now thinking it may be the felt backed TPO, I won't know for sure until I tear the thing apart. I am still hopeful that I can save it. Are there any recommendations about its reuse; should I consider cleaning and resealing the entire rubber when I put things back together? Obviously though, if the rubber is in too sad a state, I will replace it with the current TPO offerings.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

During the time frame I referenced in my earlier post Jayco used both the EPDM (rubber) and TPO (thermo plastic) roofing materials. I preferred the TPO because it was a tougher material, but the fleece backing was a no-go so I replaced mine with EPDM material (7 years ago).

Jayco now uses at least three different roofing materials, depends on the model.

I have my reservations that you will be able to re-use the existing TPO roofing because it's glued down, may damage the material trying to get it off.

If I'm not mistaken, the Kiwi 23B has a fairly flat roof and as the years go by the weight of the roof A/C unit tends to allow water to puddle around it. Since you are repairing the roof I would look into re-enforcing the roof structure around the A/C.

Again, just throwing some ideas around.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #7

Hey Bob, I need any ideas I can get as I'm not the handiest with this type of project. The Kiwi 23b does indeed have a flat roof, I'd love to modify that to be rounded but that's a major project I don't feel I need to consider. Because the wood rot is quite extensive, I'm hoping that the rubber will detach easy enough but I am planning to replace all the wood anyways so I may be able to remove the rubber and clean it off, we'll see. I will definitely reinforce the area around the A/C as I know for sure it has suffered a lot of sage just in that area
Old 08-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #8

I restored/modified lots of hot rods in the past. I've spent thousands. I finally figured out it tons cheaper to buy one ready to go that someone else did.
I also figured out its cheaper to buy a nice used 12-14 year old camer that needs no repairs than repair an old camper. With as much damage as you have no way would I send all that time and $$$ when it's much cheaper to replace.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #9

I know it sounds like a lot of work, I don't actually think I'll need to do all of it but I just want as much info as I can get as to steps to take and things to look out for. I'm starting simply by assessing the roof situation, if that turns out to be less work than I anticipate, I'll go from there. I certainly don't want to dump money on something that likely isn't worth it but I at least want to try a few repairs to see what's worth doing and what can simply be left alone
Old 08-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #10

I will be replacing the current roof rubber with new TPO and am looking to go with TPO used for commercial/residential application. I have found some from a local supplier that is at .45 mil but I will need to use a heat gun to weld the seam as the only lengths available are 6' x 100'. The process looks to be fairly simple and should yield a 100% water tight seal. Not sure of the cost yet but if it is at least half that of the RV dealers $489.00 + tx, I'm thinking it may be worth it.

What do you guys suggest?

Tags
ceiling sags, floor repair, roof leak, water damage