Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Griswald One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Brooklin, Ontario
Posts: 363
Ditto to Doc

Yep, like Doc said... Speaking from experience!

If you need a financial reason to support this logic. The Highway Traffic Act in my jurisdiction and likely every other you will travel in has rather stringent laws in regards to this. Laws which the local Law Enforcement routinely enforce on the Friday of long weekends for the safety of others staring the highway with them.

For example a person driving a minivan... Let's say a 2013 Dodge with a tow capacity of 3000 lbs pulling a 16xrb which has a dry weight of 2845lbs would find themselves at the scales where they might be left with a choice of leaving all of thier belongings and their 5 passengers at the side of the road or leave thier trailer their until they could get a tow vehicle which can lawfully pull the trailer. Is that likely to happen... Not normally, but certainly not a risk I would take.

To take that a step further... Should that tow combination be in an accidents even one that was someone else's fault, a savvy insurance company would rightfully deny any claim since the vehicle was not operating within safety parameters.
__________________

__________________


Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 216
Yeah, I was told that SUV is also a poor choice for a larger trailer. I towed over 4k miles through strong cross-winds, Rockies, Tahoe in CA... I do not have a point of reference to a truck, but I know that my setup is rock solid.
__________________

__________________
28DSBH (MY2017)
Propride 1400
Solar powered 640W plus 400 Ah lithium batteries
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 216
Legendary argument which has nothing in common with reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
(...)

To take that a step further... Should that tow combination be in an accidents even one that was someone else's fault, a savvy insurance company would rightfully deny any claim since the vehicle was not operating within safety parameters.
__________________
28DSBH (MY2017)
Propride 1400
Solar powered 640W plus 400 Ah lithium batteries
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Hastings
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Yep, like Doc said... Speaking from experience!

If you need a financial reason to support this logic. The Highway Traffic Act in my jurisdiction and likely every other you will travel in has rather stringent laws in regards to this. Laws which the local Law Enforcement routinely enforce on the Friday of long weekends for the safety of others staring the highway with them.

For example a person driving a minivan... Let's say a 2013 Dodge with a tow capacity of 3000 lbs pulling a 16xrb which has a dry weight of 2845lbs would find themselves at the scales where they might be left with a choice of leaving all of thier belongings and their 5 passengers at the side of the road or leave thier trailer their until they could get a tow vehicle which can lawfully pull the trailer. Is that likely to happen... Not normally, but certainly not a risk I would take.

To take that a step further... Should that tow combination be in an accidents even one that was someone else's fault, a savvy insurance company would rightfully deny any claim since the vehicle was not operating within safety parameters.
Your numbers are wrong

I have been through CAT scales three times, and spent a solid hour at a local scrap yard using the scales to set up. We are within every limit published for our set up.

Also, I own a GMC 2500hd. The van tows this trailer much better, from a subjective seat if the pants appraisal. Handles better, stops better, accelerates better. Parking lots, campgrounds, highways, freeways, everything. It is just all around a better match. The van/camper combo will stop quicker than the truck empty. I think the truck makes about %15 more power, but weight close to %30 more. The truck would certainly tow my bobcat better, or similar high weights. Also, MPG towing is better than the truck empty.

For us, the minivan is the way to go.
__________________
2012 jayco swift slx 165rb
2011 dodge grand caravan
r8ingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Yeah, I was told that SUV is also a poor choice for a larger trailer. I towed over 4k miles through strong cross-winds, Rockies, Tahoe in CA... I do not have a point of reference to a truck, but I know that my setup is rock solid.
I believe it is. And it depends on the SUV. Like I said I never questioned the safety of such a setup. You don't have your tow vehicle in your signature, I'm curious what are you towing with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8ingbull View Post
For us, the minivan is the way to go.
How many passengers and what kind of distances do you regularly travel?
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,511
This fall I moved up from a 2009 Tacoma (1/4-ton pickup) to 2003 F-350 flatbed. Towing the same trailer.


The Taco was adequate for the task (75% of it's limits). But the old Ford made trailering a pleasure!


So, in my opinion, "There is no kill like overkill."


Stop pussyfooting around with a unibody and McPherson struts. Get something with a ladder frame and springs that are separate from the shocks. Then you will find a whole lot more confidence in your rig! No more spending hours to "get it right". Then getting all fouled up because this trip requires carrying an extra 100lbs.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Hastings
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
How many passengers and what kind of distances do you regularly travel?
6 passengers.

We travel all over. Leaving Saturday at noon for 17 days. Michigan to Florida.

We are gone every other weekend for short (1-3 hour) trips. At least 2x's per year on much longer trips.
__________________
2012 jayco swift slx 165rb
2011 dodge grand caravan
r8ingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Hastings
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
So, in my opinion, "There is no kill like overkill."


Stop pussyfooting around with a unibody and McPherson struts. Get something with a ladder frame and springs that are separate from the shocks. Then you will find a whole lot more confidence in your rig! No more spending hours to "get it right". Then getting all fouled up because this trip requires carrying an extra 100lbs.
I have something with ladder frame and springs. We choose to drive the minivan for many reasons, as posted above.
__________________
2012 jayco swift slx 165rb
2011 dodge grand caravan
r8ingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by r8ingbull View Post
I have something with ladder frame and springs. We choose to drive the minivan for many reasons, as posted above.
I've been following this thread. And I feel you are being foolish. You are trading safety for comfort.

My daily driver (120 mile-per-day commute) has been a sedan or wagon since the 1990's. Love 'em for comfort and handling. Never been stuck because of snow, but reached 2wd limits a few times.

But when it comes to dragging an extra 2,500-30,000lbs at highway speeds, especially with people I care about on board, I won't hesitate to make my safety margins as wide as possible!

With the rig you've built, when something goes wrong, things will get very messy very quickly. All for the sake of being comfortable.

Go ahead and take your risks. Just make sure you have plenty of insurance.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 216
Ladder frame

https://youtu.be/_f3CAnH7WIM?t=91

vs

unibody

__________________

__________________
28DSBH (MY2017)
Propride 1400
Solar powered 640W plus 400 Ah lithium batteries
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.