Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #11
We bought these a while back and they put out a lot of light and the batteries last a long time. This two-pack would give you one for each side.

Etekcity 2 Pack Portable Outdoor LED Camping Lantern with 6 AA Batteries (Black, Collapsible)

Right now Amazon has the 2-pack for less than $14.

Dan & Christine (and Molly)
2015 GMC Sierra 4WD Crew Cab Short Bed with Max Trailer Pkg
2015 Jayco White Hawk 27 DSRL
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #12
You could always get an extension cord and a led rope light (like used on awnings) and create a lit pathway to follow.

2009 F350 CC LB 4WD
2017 Jayco 355MBQS
Rustysocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #13
Backup light would not be hard to add. The yellow wire in the 7pin wire harness. Add a couple led light to the rear bumper area. Then add a few additional lights farther forwards facing to the rear, to light up the sides of the tt.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:54 AM   #14
Walmart has solar sidewalk marker lamps in the landscape section for a buck a piece you might consider as landings strip lights.

These led lamps might help on the rear bumper.

Finally, stating the obvious. Could you plan to arrive during the daylight? Sure there will be exceptions, but as a general rule this might help. Sorry if that is too forward.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #15
The short answer to this ?? is "Don't do it". The light sticks, solar lights, and light strips are all good ideas, but only illuminate the ground/pad area. The real problem when backing into an unfamiliar sight is above eye level in the form of overhanging branches and other obstructions. Things you can easily avoid during the day by not crowding the edge of a site or not backing too far into the site. For sure you can damage your TT by backing into a site post or power post etc but the real damage potential lies higher up. Next time you are camping and get bored, walk around the CG and look at the back corner and sides of other campers on your loop. You are bound to spot one with damage to these areas near the roof edge.

Given the fact that your wife can't help as a spotter, I would make a firm policy of arriving before dark OR I would overnite in the CG overflow or parking lot and wait to set up in the morning. Even with a spotter, it is difficult to mark and avoid obsticles above eye level at a new site.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #16
Several good ideas here - thanks to all. Going to consider and test a few of them to see. Yes, plan is always to arrive during the daytime but, there are times when it just doesn't work out or - things don't go as planned. We are still in test mode really. Made about 6 trips within 1-2 hours of our house. TN, MS and AR have lots of great state parks to choose from that are not far for us to drive. We live near Memphis. Getting ready for a long trip in the fall and want to be prepared. This trip, to a park without sewer hookup, gave me a good idea of how long we can go before dumping the tanks if we are careful with our water use. Seems every trip we come back with a list of things I need to get or do - where to put a towel rack, another command hook (great little things), see something someone else has that is really helpful, etc. Also learn what I can leave at home next time that I really don't need.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Backup light would not be hard to add.
I've been thinking about doing this, but I usually plan on arriving well before dark (when at all possible)
wan-der-lust (noun) | 'wändǝr,lǝst | a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world

wan-der-lust VLOG

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #18
I had a set of rope lights that plugged in at one time and I would run them along the drivers side of the site at night and then back in using them like runway lights. This actually worked pretty good as long as you have no overhead obstacles and look the other areas of site over
2011 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab Diesel , 2015 Jayco Eagle 338 rets
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #19
One other suggestion is to get a set of "puck lights." They are inexpensive and you can place them to guide you and then easily get out and move them to complete the process. If your purchase 4 - 6 you could set 2 out where you want to set the trailer (back of the trailer) and then use the other 4 as warning spots.
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #20
Please don't ignore the blind spots you have when the TT is jackknifed to the passenger side when you back into a site. For the most part, the drivers side is totally blanked out in your mirrors. With the tv and tt at an angle your mirrors really don't tell you much even if you have lights of some kind marking the edges of the site. There is no good reason to try backing in your rig at night without a spotter, ABSOLUTELY NONE!! Get there before dark or make arrangements to have the CG host or friend come over to assist. Doing thousands of $$$$ damage to your TT is what you are risking. You mentioned you are a rookie at this. Take the advice from those of us who have some miles under our belts.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote