Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #1

Hey all,
I am picking up our 2015 26bh on Saturday.. I am completely new to TT.. I have a 4 day trip booked close to home just to try everything out, then I have a 5 day trip booked @ 7 hour drive away from home..hope everything works right

Any tips/ tricks/ advice that I may need to think about..

Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Your doing the right thing with the close to home trip first in case you forget anything. Just have fun and enjoy your new TT.

2015 Jayco Eagle 314 BHDS
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Keep a pen and paper handy and start a list of thing you forget,need or want to have to make things easier. Do not hesitate to ask questions on here.oh have fun and enjoy!!!
Phildakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Welcome to the JOF and congrats on the new TT!
'12 Jay Flight 28BHS
'01 Suburban

nevercominhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Welcome to the forum. Happy Camping
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #6

it will take you longer to get there than you think- plan accordingly to reduce the stress of gotta be there before _________.
06 dbl cab tundra
P3 brake controller
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
RVCamperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
Congratulations on the new TT, and Welcome to The Forum! My best advise would be to listen intently and ask a lot of questions during your pre-delivery inspection (PDI)/walk-thru. Then, when you get home, carefully read every piece of literature that comes with your new trailer. An awful lot of "issues" can be avoided/solved if more people would just read their trailer manual. However, if you have questions that aren't covered or are confusing, feel free to post them here. There are an awful lot of folks here with a ton of experience and expertise. They get a great deal of personal satisfaction knowing they've helped someone else out of a jam (or helped avoid one). I know they've helped me immensely. And once you get the hang of things, feel free to "pay it forward" by offering your advise/experience to someone else.

Hope you enjoy your new TT, the JOF, and (especially) the camping lifestyle! Happy camping!
2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Thanks everyone,
I traded in my 2012 jayco 1007 pop up, so I have an understanding on how some of the appliances work and how to sanitize/winterize.. And I have already read the 26bh manual...
My biggest fear is doing something wrong while using and emptying the black/grey holding tanks. I have watch some YouTube videos for tips, but do you guys have any?
I plan on getting a clear 'elbow' so I can see how clean the black water is during my tank flush. Any other 'tools or accessories' I should get while I pick up my trailer? I see lots of people use hose ramps/carriers to give support and a even decline for the sewer hose, probably a good idea.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Congratulations on joining the 26BH club. I just picked up my new one last month after years of PUP camping. You'll love the extra features and space.

Before my PDI I watched this video:

It covers pretty much all the things you'll see at your PDI and gives you a chance to think about the questions you'll want to ask your technician. Any thing else that comes up post it here on the forum. There's a lot of great experience here.
2013 Jay Flight 26BH
2008 Nissan Armada LE 4x4
KiltDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
Hi and congrats! First thing I still fail to do at times- when you are doing something- do not engage in conversation with anyone that isn't related to the task!!!

This year, picking up TT from storage- while cranking my hitch base plate to travel mode (it was thankfully already hooked to truck) i was talking with someone. I kept cranking higher and higher and it didn't need to be! There was a "ping" ( I broke an interior pin) and the base plate fell back to the ground. I attempted to crank it back in- But cranking didn't work so I then hooked up the battery to use the power to see if it would "reset itself" somehow back in (obviously a Hail Mary attempt!) and obviously no luck. So I strapped the arm up and drove home.

A week later at $175 for the new unit, I put it on and it was working! But......now I found the TT didn't have interior lights though some electricity did work......? Long story short...not only did I over crank while lost in conversation- but I also hooked one of the battery cables to the wrong post..... So hello reverse polarity! It was an Easy swap and it was working. Frustrating as hell though!

I think we all can forget the task at hand (forgetting to unplug before pulling away happens a lot) but starting out new- do not talk about other things while doing something and triple check everything before coming or going.

Pilots often communicate like this :

Pilot- banking left
Co pilot- you're banking left
Pilot- I am banking left.

A triple check- If you can play that through your head while starting out anyway.

Always take your time and don't feel pushed by someone behind you. It's your investment and pride and not theirs.

Congrats again!

2011 GMC Sierra Denali
2011 StarCraft EXP 237CKS
mtkeg15 is offline   Reply With Quote