Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2017, 08:44 PM   #1

Practice Changing a Tire

In preparation for a long trip we have later this year, plus it's something I need to be able to do even on a short trip, I plan to test change a tire this weekend. I have a 4T bottle jack and one of those plastic ramp tire change assist devices. My trailer is parked in the driveway and not hooked up the TV so I'll only be able to test with the bottle jack. I'm not keen on changing a tire with the TT disconnected from the TV since the front could swing off of the blocks under the jack stand and fall to the ground. I've had this happen when I didn't have one side chocked well when I disconnected. Amazing how much side to side the trailer will "settle" unless the ground is perfectly level, even then it can settle a little sideways without both sides chocked. Anyway, I'll have it off the blocks and the jack stand directly on the ground. Any gotchas or pointers on lifting one tire off the ground when the TT is not connected to the TV?
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:52 PM   #2

Same happened in my driveway. I now have four chocks while parked. You could chock all wheels to be safe!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:56 PM   #3

I'll have to remove the chocks on the side I practice on so only one side will be chocked. My routine now is first thing I do when I stop is chock all four wheels. Nothing else gets started until the TT wheels are locked down,
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #4

I travel with lots of trailers, I keep bottle jack, a good longer breaking bar, the proper size Deep Socket, then also my cordless impact with a spare battery. You want to make sure you check air in your spare tire once in a while. There is a set pattern to tighten wheel nuts also.
Don't forget to torque wheel nuts once you can get to area where you either have one or can get one.
Rooftop777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:04 AM   #5

I applaud you for doing a practice run.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #6

Here is a great reason to do your test run on changing a tire...

We were coming home from Yellowstone heading to Custer State Park. At the bottom of a long 7% grade, we had a tire blow out. as we coasted into Tensleep, Wy. (Population 260). I pulled onto a side street, and prepared to change the tire before the ominous black rain clouds arrived.
Parking Brake set... Check
Tires Chocked... Check
Jack Ready... Check!
I went to loosen the lug nuts with the Jayco Supplied Lug Wrench. Wrench bent, lug nuts would not move! It was a REALLY cheap lug wrench!

So, I called AAA. They said that they would be there in about an hour. Wyoming is REALLY big! No Problem.

So I sat on a picnic table next to the road, and I watched the gathering clouds, and I contemplated how wet I would soon become...

And then, I saw it. On the window of the house we were in front of, I saw the window was covered in a burlap bag. The bag said "Columbian Coffee" on it... I walked around the corner and I found I had broken down in front of Tensleep, Wyoming's ONLY Espresso Shop!

And all was right with the world again!

The lessons learned...
1. Manufacturer supplied lug wrenches are not up to the job.
2. Get a good quality T-Bar type Lug wrench.
3. Practice changing a tire on your new trailer in your driveway.
4. AAA Membership with RV Coverage worked well in the middle of nowhere.
5. Tensleep, Wy. has a GREAT Espresso Shop. The people were very nice.
6. Always keep your eyes open for beauty in your travels. Even if you don't find beauty, you may just find coffee!
GIFCo147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #7

I read above again, you could lower your trailer jacks, then trailer could never tip to one side if you were scared it would, just another safety support,
just thoughts to help
Rooftop777 is offline   Reply With Quote