Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I see the TX safety inspection is still as big a racket as it was back in the late '60s and early '70s.
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
X2 - just another money grab!
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
The state inspection in Texas is really nothing more than just another tax. Things would be much simpler if they just abolished the state inspection and raised the price of the registration accordingly.
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
+1 to getting rid of the inspection and just increase the registration. Too many shops just rubber stamp it, and send people on their way. If all the techs inspected the trailer like mine did (he actually conducted a somewhat thorough inspection ), I might feel differently.

As far as it being a racket or a money grab, I would hate to be involved in that as a dealer or repair shop. My tech spent 20 minutes with me. At a shop rate of $75 (on the low side) that's $25 in labor to get $7, most of which probably goes to the state. That tech could have spent that time working on a trailer earning the shop rate. So any shop that does inspections in addition to their regular work is losing money in a bad way unless the state subsidizes the shop for inspections.

Or in my case, the tech could have been conducting a very close inspection looking for something they could charge me to repair. I don't have a choice, right? Either they repair it and give me the papers so I can get registered, or they don't fix it, and don't pass me on inspection so I can't get registered. Then, later on down the road I get stopped for expired tags on my trailer and the officer finds all sorts of things to add to the citation and wastes a bunch of my time. Whaddayagonnado?
Back when I lived in TX ('67-'71 in Abilene, the longest decade of my life), the racket was the repair shops where the "inspections" were done would always "fail" something, such wipers or headlight alignment, so you were forced to pay for that something in addition to the inspection fee to get a passed sticker. I would just take the fail report, then go to another inspection site. When they would "fail something else, I would show them the previous fail report and blackmail them into giving me a free pass sticker to keep me from reporting them. I would then go back to the first inspection site, show the passed sticker, and perform the same blackmail to get my inspection fee refunded. I did that for two years, then moved back to AZ.

Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:16 AM   #12
Originally Posted by lhpelton View Post
I am one of those that has basically ignored the inspection for the last couple of years.
My question is where do I get it done?
Do I have to go to an RV rep[air shop?
It's my understanding that any shop that does inspections on vehicles is permitted to do trailer inspections. Not meant as a plug, but I use a Jiffy Lube near my home.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH - SOLD!
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:41 AM   #13
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
It's my understanding that any shop that does inspections on vehicles is permitted to do trailer inspections. Not meant as a plug, but I use a Jiffy Lube near my home.

I believe that is correct. I got the inspection certificate (there is no longer a sticker) for my trailer from the new car dealership where my wife is employed.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:55 AM   #14
Site Team
The state inspection system was discontinued many years ago in our state. As most bureaucratic attempts go, it had failed miserably in our state, It was ineffective and rife with problems, many have been mentioned in this thread.

We are better off without it here in SC, IMO.

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote