Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2016, 12:08 AM   #1

Quick Connect Gas Outlet

I'm the proud new owner of a 2015 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264 bhw. Trying to get it set up the way we want it. I'm looking for the quick connect location on the camper for a gas grill. Not sure this model has one but if it does I can't seem to find it. Anybody got any ideas. If I have to I'll start from scratch and build my own.
Hank Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:12 AM   #2

Typically they are under the back end on the door side. Least mine is. good luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:17 AM   #3

You should be able to trace the regulated LP line back from your tanks, to a distribution block, and then to a quick disconnect, if you have one. The rest of the lines will go to your furnace, hot water tank and stove etc.
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

Because it is normally placed under a frame member it can be hard to spot.

Lie down under the rear bumper and trace the supports forward. A lump of brass with rubber at both ends will be the tip-off.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

This is what it looks like:

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:33 PM   #6

Re: Gas Quick Connect

I crawled around and couldn't find the quick connect. Traced the other gas lines. By the way, the one that goes to the water heater on the rear starboard side is a rubber hose!! Thinking about re-plumbing it with hard pipe. What's your thoughts.

Thanks for all the input and help.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:19 AM   #7

I'm not a pipe fitter but, it seems to me flexible rubber lines are used because your trailer won't remain static. All that twisting and bouncing around would surely cause a break or leak in you "hard pipe". Your desire to improve the design would become a serious safety issue.
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #8

Re: quick connect

Good point about the dynamic nature of a TT frame. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #9

From my limited experience, the LP quick connect fitting will be near (below) the mounting bracket for an external gas stove. If any. If there's no mounting bracket on the outside of your TT, that may be a clue that there's no LP quick connect. Here's what a mounting bracket should look like:

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #10

Considering the bumper mount grill is not an option in the SLX version, I'm thinking you will have to plumb your own. Which in reality I suggest considering how convenient is having that quick connect anyway? For it to work you will need to have a low pressure grill, or convert a high pressure grill (Weber or Coleman typically) to run on low pressure LP. Then you effectively have a grill that will only work on your camper.

I have opted to stick with 1# bottles and keep my Weber Q200 unaltered so we can use it other places. The 1# bottles aren't the cheapest, but frequently can be found on sale for 2 for $4/$5. Otherwise you can simply buy the hose to connect to a typical 20# or 30# and use one of the two bottles you already carry on your TT.

Just my .02.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #11

If you end up not having any quick disconnects at all, my approach would be to T off your main propane tank with an unregulated line, plumb that in and then use whatever grill you want.

Or

If you have a regulated LP line (you find a QD propane connector somewhere) but no grill, and no desire to modify a weber to work with it, you can always buy the grill that looks exactly like (and probably is) the same one Jayco uses.

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...d53be902e7bfb6

We use our outside propane on every trip so I'd say having the QD outside is quite useful, but I wouldn't go through the trouble of running a pre-regulated line and limiting your BBQ grill choices to 'RV' models. Modding a weber is not difficult, but as mentioned your grill is now dedicated to your camper. Just a few options to consider...
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
If you end up not having any quick disconnects at all, my approach would be to T off your main propane tank with an unregulated line, plumb that in and then use whatever grill you want.

Or

If you have a regulated LP line (you find a QD propane connector somewhere) but no grill, and no desire to modify a weber to work with it, you can always buy the grill that looks exactly like (and probably is) the same one Jayco uses.

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...d53be902e7bfb6

We use our outside propane on every trip so I'd say having the QD outside is quite useful, but I wouldn't go through the trouble of running a pre-regulated line and limiting your BBQ grill choices to 'RV' models. Modding a weber is not difficult, but as mentioned your grill is now dedicated to your camper. Just a few options to consider...
Same here. We we happy to see that our new TT was already equipped with the grill. Even though it's not the greatest grill, I can learn to cook on almost anything. Our popup had a side hanging grill, and it heated rather unevenly, but just by watching what I was doing, I cooked ribeye steaks on it the first time perfectly, and burgers were no problem if I just rotated them as they cooked.

I also have an All Clad griddle that fits on the grill grate and can be used to fry/saute just about anything I want.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post

I also have an All Clad griddle that fits on the grill grate and can be used to fry/saute just about anything I want.
All-Clad is hard to beat, you just gave me an xmas gift idea that might not land me in the dog house... or if it does at least I can use the griddle in my dog house on wheels. Love their cookware.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote