Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #1

Replacing furniture foam

I am wanting to replace and upgrade the foam in the dinette cushions and the jacknife sofa. The original foam is low density and kind of cheap feeling, and over the years has lost its form and support. I have also filled out my 6'4 frame, finally, and all 215lbs of me makes my butt bottom out the foam. I still blame the foam.

Have any of you done an upgrade like this? Where did you get your replacement foam and what type did you go with?

Just pulled the trailer out yesterday and gave it a wash and wax top to bottom and it looks bitchin'!
Old 05-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #2

My wife replaced the foam with new she bought at either Joanns or Hobby Lobby. It still isn't great but better than factory. Maybe a car seat repair place might have denser stuff.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #3

My plan was to get some stuff from a automobile upholstery shop. The dinette stuff should be easy as it will zip in and out. The jack knife sofa will be more of a project...

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
My plan was to get some stuff from a automobile upholstery shop. The dinette stuff should be easy as it will zip in and out. The jack knife sofa will be more of a project...
I did just this with the dinette. I went to a local auto upholstery shop, received a ridiculous quote, went to another and got a fair quote of $300 for the three bottoms. This was for the labor of cutting to shape and exact size as well. Still sounds kinda high but I live in the LA area. Still well worth the money. I went with very firm density and it’s breaking in nicely. I agree that the jackknife sofa will be a bigger job but I’m still planning on getting the trailer over there for an estimate where I walked in with the dinette cushions. The original backs seem to be holding up for now.

Cheers.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
I did just this with the dinette. I went to a local auto upholstery shop, received a ridiculous quote, went to another and got a fair quote of $300 for the three bottoms. This was for the labor of cutting to shape and exact size as well. Still sounds kinda high but I live in the LA area. Still well worth the money. I went with very firm density and it’s breaking in nicely. I agree that the jackknife sofa will be a bigger job but I’m still planning on getting the trailer over there for an estimate where I walked in with the dinette cushions. The original backs seem to be holding up for now.

Cheers.
Quick question, do you use the dinette for sleeping at times? How do the high-density cushions work if you do?

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 08-09-2021, 11:15 PM   #6

I know it’s been a few months since this thread was active — Colby, did you get new foam and replace the dinette cushions and/or sofa cushions? I haven’t checked auto upholstery places yet but I see Joanne’s has high-density and extra high-density foam. Would need to do some cutting.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:56 PM   #7
Site Team

This place might be good for some information. Not sure if their prices are competitive or not, but seems to have a lot of different choices.

https://www.foambymail.com/foam-type...-cushions.html

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:52 AM   #8

I used a local upholstery shop to do the bunk mattress and my dinette seats. Paid $400 and most of that was the bunk. The only way I coul find to do the sofa was to remove it and bring it to the shop. They quoted me $650 to do the high density foam. Haven't pulled the trigger on that yet but I am actively looking for a full residential replacement as an option. We don't use the sleeper piece so any loveseat will work. Just haven't found one yet..

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:22 AM   #9

My wife goes to Joann fabrics and gets furniture grade high density foam. I think it's better than what the manufacturer is using.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I know it’s been a few months since this thread was active — Colby, did you get new foam and replace the dinette cushions and/or sofa cushions? I haven’t checked auto upholstery places yet but I see Joanne’s has high-density and extra high-density foam. Would need to do some cutting.
I did indeed get it done. I cheated and took them down to the shop and they did all of the work, it was awesome. The only downside is that they don't squish down into the bed position as easy because it's more firm. Sitting is fantastic!

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 08-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
I did indeed get it done. I cheated and took them down to the shop and they did all of the work, it was awesome. The only downside is that they don't squish down into the bed position as easy because it's more firm. Sitting is fantastic!
Good for you! I figure the dinette seats I can do myself but sofa, no thanks. Did you take the sofa apart and take it to the upholstery shop? Thanks for the update!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
This place might be good for some information. Not sure if their prices are competitive or not, but seems to have a lot of different choices.

https://www.foambymail.com/foam-type...-cushions.html
That looks like a great resource. With custom cutting, that may be the best way to go. Thanks JFlightRisk!
Old 08-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
That looks like a great resource. With custom cutting, that may be the best way to go. Thanks JFlightRisk!
Awesome. You're very welcome, and let us know how they turn out. I may get new foam for our dinette seat bottoms too.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:56 PM   #14

We replaced the foam in our couch and our dinette. We used the highest density foam they sold for couches. I investigated all of the sources on other treads and decided to just stay local. Looked at reviews from other rV owners and we couldn't be happier. Our guests, who just slept on the dinette were fine!
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
We replaced the foam in our couch and our dinette. We used the highest density foam they sold for couches. I investigated all of the sources on other treads and decided to just stay local. Looked at reviews from other rV owners and we couldn't be happier. Our guests, who just slept on the dinette were fine!
I checked with a local car/boat upholsterer. Quoted about $150 to replace two dinette cushions. Granted, some of that is labor, but it shouldn’t take long to insert a piece of foam in and zip it up.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:43 AM   #16

Just this week I replaced the foam in the *seat* cushions of my dinette. Got it via Amazon, link below. It was NOT what you might call easy. For cutting I used a bread knife and straight edge clamped to the foam; worked out pretty well. You'll find the original foam has a "batting" material fastened to it - I stripped that off and put it on my new foam. Then came stuffing it all into the original cushions. Be strong and patient!!

What a difference when sitting on it! Now to see if it holds up.

BTW, on mine the exact foam dimensions are on the label of the cushion, so I did my measurements based on that. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought an 82x24x4" pad. Good thing it came just a little long, because my cushions are actually 41.25" long. Actually had about an inch left over.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Just this week I replaced the foam in the *seat* cushions of my dinette. Got it via Amazon, link below. It was NOT what you might call easy. For cutting I used a bread knife and straight edge clamped to the foam; worked out pretty well. You'll find the original foam has a "batting" material fastened to it - I stripped that off and put it on my new foam. Then came stuffing it all into the original cushions. Be strong and patient!!

What a difference when sitting on it! Now to see if it holds up.

BTW, on mine the exact foam dimensions are on the label of the cushion, so I did my measurements based on that. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought an 82x24x4" pad. Good thing it came just a little long, because my cushions are actually 41.25" long. Actually had about an inch left over.

Good luck!

Roger
Thanks for the link. Looks like it is back ordered, though. One question: The batting feels like it is glued pretty firmly to my foam. How did you get it off and did you glue it to the new foam? If so, with what? Thanks!
Old 08-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Looks like it is back ordered, though. One question: The batting feels like it is glued pretty firmly to my foam. How did you get it off and did you glue it to the new foam? If so, with what? Thanks!
Right you are, it's glued on there. However, if you're careful you can peel that batting off the old foam very easily. Yes, you'll leave some behind, but not much. I didn't bother gluing it to the new foam, I just formed it around the new stuff and then reached in to straighten it out when I was done. We'll see how that holds up, too.

If I were going to glue it, I think I'd do a dilute solution of white glue or something similar, and spray it on the new foam. Then attach the batting to that, and let it dry in place. Just an idea.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:42 PM   #19

Great ideas. Thanks!