Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #1

Rubber Roof Maintenance

Hello All, so we just finished up our first year of camping with our 2014 whitehawk. the question i have is roof maintenance? being new to the camping scene, all the maintenance is a little overwhelming but dont know what to use on the roof. i saw some products by dicor but i am not looking to repair a leak, just seal the roof (i guess thats what is needed to do). i read some articles saying that should be done 2 - 3 times a year?
this forum has been a wealth of knowledge and would love to hear some feedback as to what should be done to seal the roof and what is a good product to use.
as always, thanks so much for the help!
jimmyg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

if you are looking to seal the roof eternabond would be what you could use. I just inspect mine and look for bad spots
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
Site Team

I just inspect my roof twice a year and apply Dicor self leveling lap sealant to any areas that look like they may need some refreshing. This would be around the vents, the front cap seal, tv antenna, skylight, etc. To be honest, in the 5 years I have owned the trailer I have not had to use much as the original caulking still looks good in most areas. Its about time for me to go up and inspect again though.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:20 AM   #4

The best and easiest way is to purchase some Eternabond tape and apply that over your seals. With proper cleaning and installation, the Eternabond tape will last longer than your rubber roof.

Clean it properly at the seals, then install a strip of tape down the seam, overlapping the roof and sidewalls/end caps. Using a hard roller wheel, roll the tape securely to activate the adhesive. If you like to go overboard, you can run a bead of Dicor against the edge seam so that the edges don't catch any air.

You will never need to worry about caulking the edges of your roof again.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #5

I have a 2013 Whitehawk 30DSRE. I learned that there is a specific type of sealant for the roof on these Whitehawk trailers. The roof is made by Alpha Systems and is called Alpha Ply.

Rather than to try to describe it and the care of it here... I have attached their website link that gives you information directly from them regarding the roof.

http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/Produ...roducttypeid=1

Hope this is helpful.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #6

It took 7 years before our last trailer showed signs of drying caulk. That's with storage outside and no cover. That's not to say you should ignore inspection. I climb up there twice a year and look it over. When you do find issues, Eternabond is wonderful stuff.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote