Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #1

Unhappy RV Roof Replacement - best option?

anyone ever done this? opinions?

https://rv-armor.com/

I need a new RV roof due to water damage. I've filed an insurance claim, but I'm not hopeful they will cover it. I'm looking for something that will last me so I don't wind up in this situation again.

very open to input at this time, I know this is going to cost a lot...
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
Site Team

If you were going to keep the trailer for a while, I would take the insurance and make up the difference with RV armor or another similar roof applicator.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #3

I'm not hopeful insurance will pay anything at this point, as it's a leak that damaged the roof over the last year and not a sudden event like a hailstorm.

In any case, looking for advice on best roof. Seems there are several that offer lifetime warranties.

https://rv-armor.com/

https://rvroof.com/

Both seem to be similar. Anyone used these or something else?
Old 09-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
I'm not hopeful insurance will pay anything at this point, as it's a leak that damaged the roof over the last year and not a sudden event like a hailstorm.
Be prepared when you get the estimate from either. $$$ They are expensive but a good investment if you are keeping it longtime.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-01-2020, 05:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Be prepared when you get the estimate from either. $$$ They are expensive but a good investment if you are keeping it longtime.
Average seems to be $250/$300 per lineal ft.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #6

so my 28 foot roof would be around $8,400? (28 * $300). That actually sounds fine... it sounds low vs. what I am expecting?

I was led to believe for a standard roof it might be around $10K for a standard roof?

What am I missing?

Heck, if it's under $9K I'll breathe a real sigh of relief actually.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #7

Quote:
so my 28 foot roof would be around $8,400? (28 * $300). That actually sounds fine... it sounds low vs. what I am expecting?

I was led to believe for a standard roof it might be around $10K for a standard roof?

What am I missing?

Heck, if it's under $9K I'll breathe a real sigh of relief actually.
Nothing that I know of.... $300 is the number that usually shows up and the spray on roof is supposed to be less.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #8

Cool. I signed up for a quote.

I'd have to take it for a long drive to get to the location where they do flex armor roofs (about 4 hours from here), but would probably be worth it.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #9

The big question, once you put $XXX.xx into the trailer, is it worth that much more?

Our KZ Jag trailer needed the roof replaced. The trailer had a value of about $12,000, if it were perfect. The cost of the roof repair was $8,000. Sadly, the trailer was still only going to be worth $12,000 after the repair.

The Jayco dealer gave us a decent trade-in and the roof situation was diclosed to them right upfront.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
The big question, once you put $XXX.xx into the trailer, is it worth that much more?

Our KZ Jag trailer needed the roof replaced. The trailer had a value of about $12,000, if it were perfect. The cost of the roof repair was $8,000. Sadly, the trailer was still only going to be worth $12,000 after the repair.

The Jayco dealer gave us a decent trade-in and the roof situation was diclosed to them right upfront.

Murff
Yeah, that's definitely food for thought. NADA guides say low retail for my trailer is ~$18K. That would be, of course, after the roof was fixed, and you could probably deduct a thousand for wear and tear.

So I could pay $9K now for a new roof, or I could buy a new trailer (assume around $15K trade in?). That would be around $15K out of pocket for the new trailer.

So $15K for a new trailer (which will have to be fixed up for a year to be where my current trailer is at, functionality-wise), or $9K for a new roof, and never have to go up on the roof again, in a trailer that I've already spent a ton of time and money making it bullet-proof (except the roof, I guess).

I don't really see the point of that. I've fixed so much of the crappy Jayco manufacturing defects already... I don't really want to go through all that again, and pay an additional $6K for my efforts, LOL!

I think I'd rather pay the $9K and be done with it.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #11

I just had RV Armor quote mine 2 weeks ago. They said 25' and longer is $150 per linear foot. Mine is 34' and quoted at $5,100. I don't have a problem with my roof just looking for longevity and less maintenance. Also it will void your existing roof warranty but they give you a lifetime warranty. I will not do mine till after my mfg 2 year warranty runs out which I still have another year.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoMLOK View Post
I just had RV Armor quote mine 2 weeks ago. They said 25' and longer is $150 per linear foot. Mine is 34' and quoted at $5,100. I don't have a problem with my roof just looking for longevity and less maintenance. Also it will void your existing roof warranty but they give you a lifetime warranty. I will not do mine till after my mfg 2 year warranty runs out which I still have another year.
I read in one of the threads somewhere that RV Armor doesn't remove the attachments to the roof prior to applying the treatment. I'm not sure if that matters or not (except perhaps for the fact that my AC is the source of the leak and will need to be re-sealed before a new roof goes on.

What made you choose RV Armor over Flex Armor?
Old 09-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #13
Site Team

A friend had RVArmor come to his house and do it.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 09-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #14

Quote:
A friend had RVArmor come to his house and do it.
That's what I'm looking at right now. I signed up for a quote from RV Armor as well as Flex Armor.

At $150 per foot (from RV Armor site), it would be around $4400 for the roof plus some plywood and labor cost to replace the damaged area. This is really starting to sound like the best option for me, I wouldn't even have to leave home, and it's far sight from the $10K price that had my eyes wide open in shock!

Old 09-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #15

Anybody know how much weight the Flex Armour adds to a trailer?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #16

Amazon sells a new roof for your trailer.... $450 for a 35' trailer. What a deal....

I'm going to coat my roof as recommended and keep it sealed, as I won't be able to afford a new one.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+roof+c...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I called Jayco one day to see what roof was on my trailer and was told it was a TPO roof. My workshop has the same TPO rubber roof.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #17
Site Team

My neighbor coated his with the Henry Elastomeric coating. He pressure washed it, taped the sides and roof openings, cut it in with a brush and rolled it. Two coats. He is very happy with the look and cost.

It is available at our local Lowes.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 09-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Anybody know how much weight the Flex Armour adds to a trailer?

Murff
This thread: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-32388-4.html

Says ~0.5 lb per square foot. So for a 28 foot trailer you'd get 28 x 8 x 0.5 = 112 lbs.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:30 PM   #19

Quote:
My neighbor coated his with the Henry Elastomeric coating. He pressure washed it, taped the sides and roof openings, cut it in with a brush and rolled it. Two coats. He is very happy with the look and cost.

It is available at our local Lowes.
I'm honestly just afraid to open it up and figure out how to re-do the damaged plywood. Also, I don't have a good place to do this type of work, it would be in the street in front of my house, and I can only park it there for a few days at a time per city ordinance, so I'd be on a tight schedule doing it myself.

I think I'll save my back and knees (and the non-zero chance of falling and killing myself) and pay the money.

If I were younger... I'd probably do it myself. But I'm older, wiser, and... well... I make enough money that it won't break me. I'm just annoyed that I missed an AC leak and had some sticker shock about the price.

That said, if I ever replace my trailer, I'll get this treatment applied from day 1. I hate going up on top of my RV.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm honestly just afraid to open it up and figure out how to re-do the damaged plywood. Also, I don't have a good place to do this type of work, it would be in the street in front of my house, and I can only park it there for a few days at a time per city ordinance, so I'd be on a tight schedule doing it myself.

I think I'll save my back and knees (and the non-zero chance of falling and killing myself) and pay the money.

If I were younger... I'd probably do it myself. But I'm older, wiser, and... well... I make enough money that it won't break me. I'm just annoyed that I missed an AC leak and had some sticker shock about the price.

That said, if I ever replace my trailer, I'll get this treatment applied from day 1. I hate going up on top of my RV.

My first trailer with hail damage was just over $10,000 to repair all the hail damage, including roof replacement and plywood underlayment. I would not have wanted to do the roof material, but the plywood was relatively straight forward. I still paid (or insurance did) to have it all done.

The second hail damaged trailer was going to get RV Armour instead, but ended up totaled.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote