Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #11

Yes, it was indeed a sad day today here as well. I was hoping to get one more trip in before temps drop. But, it was 34 degrees out this morning! So, I blew out the lines and pumped some rv antifreeze in this afternoon. I think our next trailer will be a 4 season trailer for sure.

Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #12

Smile

With unseasonably warm weather here in central Wisconsin I got some much needed ambition and decided to winterize my TT water system. With the wife's help, and using 40 psi of compressed air, I blew out the water lines in short order. I then tackled those 5 valves that Jayco said we needed for our water system. After following their directions, I'm not one to follow or read directions until its to late, I pumped two gallons of pink anti-freeze in and through all the water lines and into the P-traps of the drain system. I am now ready to back the coach next to the house, cover it up, and let it sit till spring of '17. Unfortunately I'll have to do the same to my Harley next...

JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #13

I'm gonna get in one more camping weekend then pump the pink for winter. I know I should use this unseasonal weather to do my chores but refuse to give in to the calendar. I do have a bit of a rep for hanging Christmas lights after Thanksgiving in the cold blustery stuff.
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #14

It's been unseasonably warm here in Kansas as well. It has inspired me to spend a few more weekend at the river drowning some worms. I just got home from a four day weekend... I'm not ready to shut er down.
olbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
We camp several times each winter so I have to winterize after almost every outing. I keep a small, portable compressor, some hose, and extension cord with me. Pull it into storage, drain everything, and blow it out. A little antifreeze in the traps and toilet... I saw that you're in Wisconsin where not winterizing could be disastrous. Here in Texas, I can watch the forecast and see if we have freezing weather coming. If not I may skip winterizing between trips. If the forecast changes, I can go and get it done if necessary. Doing it as often as I do... one gets pretty proficient so it doesn't take nearly as long as you might think.
You're not too far from us. We're in Grapevine, so we probably get much of the same weather you get. I am a first time owner of a brand new Hummingbird 17RK we just purchased yesterday. How much work is this winterizing stuff? We'll be storing our trailer in a covered spot at a local storage facility when it is not in use, if that makes a difference.
The Annoyed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Annoyed Man View Post
You're not too far from us. We're in Grapevine, so we probably get much of the same weather you get. I am a first time owner of a brand new Hummingbird 17RK we just purchased yesterday. How much work is this winterizing stuff? We'll be storing our trailer in a covered spot at a local storage facility when it is not in use, if that makes a difference.
If you're set up for it, it's a breeze. We camp mostly in winter, so I get to blow mine out several times a year as I said earlier. I use a small pancake type compressor and set the regulator at 40 psi, hook it on and just go about opening valves and let the water blow out... drain the water heater... pour a little antifreeze in the traps and toilet, and it's done.

I started with a smaller unit like you have about 6 years ago. It's a learning process, but the internet is a great source. Ask questions and don't worry about appearing to be a beginner. There are lots of very good folks that are very helpful and welcome beginner questions... because we all started somewhere. I look at this site, IRV2, FROG (Forest River owners group), and several other sites. Do be careful as there is misinformation out there. Read several opinions and answers from several places... and go from there.

Safe travels!

PS: There are a few things listed in the following post that might be helpful:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ing-41025.html