Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #1

Satellite pre wiring in 17 Jayflight 28BHBE

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I'll try and make this simple. The trailer is prewired for satellite, but that doesn't mean much if I need to mount the dish and everything. Does anyone one have some good advice for mounting the dish and running the lines by myself. I've done it before in my old trailer with no issues, but this trailer is a different beast.
mavstang71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavstang71 View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I'll try and make this simple. The trailer is prewired for satellite, but that doesn't mean much if I need to mount the dish and everything. Does anyone one have some good advice for mounting the dish and running the lines by myself. I've done it before in my old trailer with no issues, but this trailer is a different beast.
Need more info. Wired for sat typically means there is a coax input port on the side of the TT and a coax wall connection outlet near the Tv location. You set up the outside dish/tripod or portable auto antanee just like before.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #3

I want to mount it on the roof. I would still need to drill a hole for the wire going to the receiver inside the trailer right?
Old 01-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavstang71 View Post
I want to mount it on the roof. I would still need to drill a hole for the wire going to the receiver inside the trailer right?
To end up with a clean install a hole would be necessary to feed the coax into the TT. I will challenge your thinking about a roof mounted dish. A fixed mounted roof antenaee will significantly limit your choice of campsites since those with heavy shade or trees blocking the signal will not work for you. A mobile unit [auto or tripod] gives you many more options since you can locate the dish away from the TT to an area with a clear view of the southern sky. The new auto mobile units require zero tuning and will typically have you up and running before you have finished setting up the TT. I chose a wingard pathway 2x [Dish only] that supports 2 receivers and is HD.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #5

Hi Mavstang and welcome.
I purchased a ladder mount for my Winegard G2 carryout satellite. I mounted the bracket to the ladder (obviously). And just attach the G2 when we get to our camping destination. If I wind up with a site in the tree's, I just use the carryout in an open area as it has 50' of coax cable. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #6

Thank you all for your responses. What do I do with the receiver then, leave it outside? I guess I could build something to protect it from the elements. It would be nice if it was wireless. This is the dish I have now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2293.jpg