Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
I don't use covers because I plan to replace the tires every 3-4 years. It seems that a blow out can cause tremendous damage and I'd rather not try to extend the life of the tires but just get "fresh" ones for peace of mind.

Joelton, TN
2013 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 Long Bed
2013 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
I bought a set on EBay. I have had them 3 years so far. I only put them on the TT when it is sitting more than a weekend. So far they have held up just fine.

Joe, Joyce , 4 Kids and 3 Dogs.
2004 V-10 Excursion with Hellwig sway bar, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer, Super Duty Tow Mirrors,
3.73 Gears, Reese dual cam, Prodigy brake controller.
2010 Jayco Jay Flight G-2 32 BHDS
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #13
I bought mine at harbor freight they are cloth, but I will see how long they last, fit right on nice and easy
Chris Moore
2010 Starcraft/Jayco 297BHS pulled by
2009 Chevy Silverado
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
I own 4 boats, 2 utility trailers and a TT. Lots of tires over the years and thru experience is that it is sun and exposure that kills a tire. I have never actually ran the tread off a trailer tire. As far as the 5 year replacement thing, I truely believe that it is nothing more than a marketing tool to sell more tires. I keep an eye on my trailer tires looking for cracks in the side walls or uneven tread wear. While I would not set off for a 5k mile road trip with 6 or 7 year old tires, I have never replaced tires just because they are over a certain age. When you start seeing cracks in the side walls its time.

Used covers on my last 2 TT's after I replaced a set on my O6 Keystone. The cost for new tires is significant and just letting nature take its course seemed to be a bad strategy. Covers are cheap and there are a lot of DIY alternatives.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote