Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #1

Very Slight Propane Smell Under Tank Cover

I've noticed that every time I open the cover on my propane tanks there is a slight smell. I had some leaking pigtails I replace last year so those are new.

I've done several soap tests on everything and can't find a leak. The smell is not very strong so I'm wondering if it's just mercaptan residue left on the tanks from filling. My last TT didn't have a cover over the tanks so I'm sure the smell dissipated a lot faster if that's the case. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #2

Yup. Every time I remove the cover there is a faint odor that quickly dissipates. No leaks found when doing a soap test. My pigtails were replaced last fall.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #3

Followup

On the 16th, after hooking the now full tanks for our next trip I did a leak test on all the connections and was still smelling propane but couldn't find any leaks. I finally just started spraying soapy water all over the regulator and found bubbles coming out of the seam between the regulator and the clear plastic of the window or dome over the indicator.

After doing some quick calculation on how much propane I had to buy earlier that day I figure I lost around a half a tank of propane over the previous few months as it was most likely leaking whenever we had the propane tanks turned on.

I was able to get a new regulator ordered on Amazon and got it in time to install and leak test before we departed on our Thanksgiving camping trip on the 21st.

I just wanted to post this as a heads up on trusting your nose when it comes to propane leaks. I knew something was going on, but figured it was residue from the tank fills. It shouldn't have stuck around that long, and of course there was a slight leak that probably cost me a few dollars, but could have been dangerous in the right conditions. Always perform leak tests when you break a connection, and don't ignore your nose!!!!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #4

My made in China propane regulator went out on our first trip. I could have had the dealer replace it with another Chinese one but decided to buy a made in America one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARSHAL-MEG...53.m2749.l2649

I bought 2, installed one and put the extra one in the toolbox.

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Good catch! A smell test can help many problems!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #6

Yep way to be proactive
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #7

I had a very similar problem with mine as well. I had a very faint odor from the open tank cover but was fooled as it seemed to go away very quickly. I felt that me opening the top door released a tiny collection of propane that I thought might just be the "normal" residual amount that could be there.

I experienced this for a few weeks I suppose. Then I'm walking up to the trailer to get ready to leave for a trip the next day and the smell was obvious from twenty feel away. I open the top door and the smell was quite powerful. Of course I shut the bottles off straight away. A little troubleshooting and I see the dual automatic switch-over regulator is the problem.

To make this story quicker, my dealer (All Valley RV in Acton) said to come by first thing on a busy Saturday and they'd swap it out under warranty. I was a happy guy - oh and the family was quite happy too.

It's a good thing my trailer didn't blow up!

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:47 AM   #8

are there anything out there not made in china?
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #9

I've experienced the same smell a couple times with mine. It's not consistent however. I've had the dealer perform multiple leak tests on every hose, regulator, connection, etc. and they SWEAR the system is not leaking. They keep telling me that it's most-likely due to low propane but I keep my cylinders full. I'll have to do my own soap test it sounds like.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
are there anything out there not made in china?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARSHAL-MEG...53.m2749.l2649
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #11

This past summer I could smell propane coming from our 38ffds cover. I performed the soap spray test, but couldn't find the leak. I called my dealer and he had me replace the whole thing,(regulator and pigtails - under warranty). I've since bought a spare regulator and pigtails. I don't like messing around with gas..