Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
From experience, if you blow, youd better be sure you have no water that collects in thr pump. Also, be sure you have a separator to catch thr moisture in your air. I almost froze one up by just blowing out the lines. The"mist" as called above settles in the low point, or in many cases, the pump. That collection water freezes in thr impeller and cracks the vanes. Thankfully, I forced antifreeze into the pump and broke it loose before damage. I immediately filled all the lines with antifreeze and will never blow out the lines alone... antifreeze is too cheap. I remember people a few years ago crabbing about the cost of antifreeze and looking into cheap booze to reuse every year. If you think antifreeze is too expensive, how could you afford fuel to drag your trailer?

kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
I use an air compressor to blow out the lines before I pump the pink stuff in. I like to use the air first to flush out any deposits in the water lines since alot of the CG's we go to have hard water.
I do the same, antifreeze is just too cheap to not use.

1998 Jayco Eagle 302FK (Honda EU3000is)
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2003 Honda Aquatrax F-12X Turbo
dmax_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
I did both (blew out the lines & used RV antifreeze) cause that's what the dealer said to do. I also asked if I could skip the blowing out part but he said we need to do both. I agree with the others that the antifreeze is just a small price to pay. Mine took just under 2-gallons and at $3/gal that's only $6 to be "safe & sound" during the winter. This year was my first time winterizing a camper as we just purchased ours in March. Running water through the lines to clean them out in the spring was easy when we used it for the first time in May. Can't wait to go camping again next year....
lifercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
Hi USMC616, I am originally from orange co. I agree with using air first to flush out deposits and then add the pink. I close up my cabin the same way for the past 12 years and have not had any problems. I would caution that the lines in the TT or RV are a little more fragile and reduce the pressure.
ewald628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #15
Air OR anti freeze. There is nothing to gain by doing both. If you are using a filter (as you should) for all water entering the RV there should be no sediments in your lines. Even if there are sediments the air will not expel them any better than the anti freeze would. JMO.
Chuck - Sparta, TN
2012 Jay Flight 22FB, 2 x Honda EU2000i
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
As said above - do one or the other, not real point in doing both.

I use air, but that is mainly because I am in TN where it doesn't really get below freezing for too long, and I camp several times during the winter. For me, the advantages are that it's quick to do, and even quicker to get back into "camping mode" by just hooking up water.

If I lived up north where it got below freezing for long periods, and I knew I wouldn't be camping for several months Iwould probably use the pink stuff too.
2012 Jayco 32TSBH
2004 Ford Excursion
ProPride 3P / Tru Control brake controller
Roadmaster Active Suspension
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
I use the 12VDC portable "TANKLESS" air compressor and the blow-out plug adapter for the city water inlet. I just setup and start the compressor which is slow to build up pressure since it is tankless. This gives me plenty of time to walk around each spigot and bleed each line. I usually go to all spigots around twice. I also drain the fresh water tank. When all done with blowing out the lines then I will add a little pink stuff to the P-traps. The big plus for me using the blow-out method is when camping off the power grid. This only takes a few minutes to do and I can get all of the water out of the lines for those freezing nights you might run into. Then the next morning it is easy to just start using water again.

Roy Ken
Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
Site Team
Con would be to use to much pressure. I reduce my compressor output to less than 40 lbs psi.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
One of my commercial tenants is a RV tech, he highly recommends RV antifreeze vs using air...he says that he has done alot of repairs for burst pipes and tanks from customers using air only....I was going to use air and thought better of it.....it was much easier to add antifreeze since my trailer was already equipped with the winterizing kit.
2012 Jayfeather X213
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Quad cab 4x4
Westerncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
how do you collect it? With a funnel at the low points?

2012 Jayflight 28BHS
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote