Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

Would you be happy?

I picked up the shiny new Eagle 324 bhts at the weekend. Had a big grin going home with it. Love it.
Got it home and put the slides out to find somehow a stone had got stuck under the slide when they put it in after giving me the demo. Now i have a deep gouge in the floor through to the wood where the stone was as it moved out with the slide. They said they will repair it no problem but for me, the worry is, can they fix this without it being obvious? How do you repair a one piece floor like that without it being something other than a one piece floor after repair? Maybe im worrying too much. Anyone else had a floor repair done and its been good? Its a lot of money to not have it like brand new and you havnt even been out in it yet.

Allan
Old 08-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #2

The second "dent" will be much easier to accept, even if it's your fault.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #3

I had a floor scratch about 4 inches long in my SOB. They fixed it and I don't know how, but it was gone. No sign of anything that I could see.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

One piece floors are repaired all the time, both in brick and mortar homes and RV...I would not be concerned about the repair on the floor. Are you sure it was a stone and not a screw that caused the damage?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:47 PM   #5

Yep, my scratch was a screw head, from where I don't know.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 PM   #6

I've seen several posts on this, but in ours, they installed screws too long in our dinette pedestal bases, which protruded through the floor and Darco wrap. Go figure. 5/8" plus/minus slide floor, 1" screws used. Luckily we caught it quick and avoided damage. They pay absolutely no mind to this stuff on the assembly line, or we wouldn't be talking about it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #7

QC in the RV world is highly suspect with all brands. Even occur in the Class A's. Friend had s frayed wire in the headlight assembly hookup that melted the back of the assembly. Had to replace the entire assembly. Had issues with several fit and finish on the same unit that retailed for $350k. He did most of the fine tuning himself just like the rest of us do on our Class C and TT's.

I would make them aware of the problem, but hold off on the actual repair until after you have been out a couple times. Finish out the season and plan to take it in later this Fall when you have a longer list of issues for them to fix. It won't really add to the time at the dealer, but you don't want to one off the repairs or the dealer will have your Rv more than you do.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #8

Higgy, I'd be po'd also. As others have mentioned I would think that a screw is the cause. That said, anything can be repaired, the question is, how good the job will be.

How big of piece needs to be replaced? Your correct, this will never be a one piece floor again.

On my 23 RLSW the vynil goes under the cabinets, etc. You'll have a seam no matter how big the patch is.

I would ask that a competent carpet, vynil tradesman be brought in to do the repair, not a RV tech.

I would see if the seam could be placed in a spot where a rug could be over it.

Just depends on the size of the damage and how much they are willing to replace.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #9

I wonder how the stone got under there? From the outside? From someone's shoe?
I guess it's a good idea to really closely inspect the floor for debris prior to closing the slides.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #10

A repair in a vinyl floor is a no brainer. In most cases you will never see the repair, even knowing where it's at. It is sealed with seam sealer and almost "melts" the vinyl back into one piece. I don't think this is the hill to die on. I would make sure you locate what screw (shouldn't be difficult as the slide comes in, in a straight line) is causing the issue and replace it. FYI the repair will be only slightly larger than the damaged area.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
A repair in a vinyl floor is a no brainer. In most cases you will never see the repair, even knowing where it's at. It is sealed with seam sealer and almost "melts" the vinyl back into one piece. I don't think this is the hill to die on. I would make sure you locate what screw (shouldn't be difficult as the slide comes in, in a straight line) is causing the issue and replace it. FYI the repair will be only slightly larger than the damaged area.
Good to hear! My heart sank this past weekend when I ran the slide out and found the huge gash in the floor from a screw that was not fully recessed in the slide (it is now). And I couldn't imagine how they were going to fix it! I knew they couldn't replace the entire floor without tearing the trailer apart. Fortunately it's usually covered by the Wife's recliner but it still killed me to think we had a brand new trailer that was already tore up and it wasn't my fault. If I do something stupid and tear the floor that's on me and I can deal with it.

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #12

If done right you will be hard pressed to ever find the repair. I have had this done on my last one and you could not find the repair. What we do now is sweep the floor before we bring in the slides. Pea gravel is popular and present in campgrounds and it comes in on shoes.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #13

I talked to the guys in the dealership today.One of the guys i know in there said you would be hard pushed to see the repair too. Still not convinced yet but they can give it a go.
He says it happens all the time too because their yard is crushed stone. Im always wary when i look around trailers that my feet are clean but there is always lots of little stones in the trailers. You would think they would be more careful.
attached a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
20160828_184617.jpg   20160828_132843.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #14

We had a tear in the floor of our 28BHBE from the slide being out of adjustment. In our case, they didn't patch it.

They cut the entire floor out up against the cabinet bases, door frames etc. Then they used the piece to cut a new one, replaced it and added quarter round around the perimeter.

I was concerned when they told me this, until I saw it. It actually looked better than when it was new, the quarter round actually creates a finished look. We are very happy with it.
wallacemf is offline   Reply With Quote