Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #1

jayco 1990 pop up tent

/B] I have a jayco can anyone tell me what I need to do my trailer sets way low to the ground if I hit a bump it drags what can I do. Can I put small wheels on the back to keep it from dragging. The hitch is level to my pu. I also had so much sway to the trailer I couldn't get over 40 mph without it swaying so bad I did eliminate the sway with a hensly sway bar it eliminated the sway completely. How do I keep the poles from falling down when we slide it out and set it up the poles keep coming out. This is the first time I ever I had a camper I always used tents. Thx lynnda
Lynnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #2

First, is your camper setting level when hooked up to your tow vehicle? It needs to be setting level, when hooked up on level ground. Second, check your tire pressure, making sure they are even, and inflated to the recommended pressure on the tires side wall. If both of those are good, check your tongue weight. If you camper is heavier in the rear than at the tongue, you will have sway, and a sway bar only masks the problem.

For the poles, I assume you are talking about the bed support poles? Here is a quick video from youtube showing the set up of a Jayco pup. Our 03 model was very similar to this one.

If the video I linked to doesn't help, there are also lots of other videos on youtube that go more in to detail, and, cover lots of different types of set ups.

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #3

Thanks Dave this will help I ck the tire pressure its okay yes the back is heavier than the front. I am going to try bigger tires. And c if that helps. I will also look at the videos to. Thanks so much
Lynnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #4

Here is a great write up, explaining how weight distribution can affect towing. It sounds as if you might need to some how shift weight forward in your trailer.

Controlling Sway Causes of poor tow

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #5

Sounds like the sway and the bumper dragging are probably related. If your pup is towing level, then the rear bumper is pretty much at the same height as your hitch head or just a little lower, your ball carrier at the TT end is generally going to be the lowest point. So if your bumper is scraping, but your hitch isn't bottoming, it really sounds like you are either nose up, or your suspension is completely whipped or damaged.

Nose up (tail heavy) or a busted suspension would both cause dangerous sway. All the Henley is doing is masking it. If your TT is really level (measure from the ground to the bottom of the frame at the front and back once hitched), then I would get a professional to take a close look at your springs/torflex setup. If you are nose up, get a new ball setup that has the trailer flat or very slightly nose down.

I had a bent axle on our 1007 that caused all kinds of handling fun until fixed. I wouldn't feel safe just masking the issue. Pup's are generally small trailers and should never require sway control if things are setup correctly.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote