Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Used Jayco or Used Coleman Fleetwood

My wife and I are looking to purchase a gently used pop-up probably around the 2003 to 2007 year models as I won't spend more than $6,000. We previously owned a 1995 Coleman for only one season. Now we are back! I was a Coleman fan until I learned they and Fleetwood are no longer in the pop-up business. I also read about Coleman/Fleetwood's roof quality issues. I'm researching Jayco & Starcraft and I'm sensing I like Jayco better. Can anyone comment on either Jayco's quality of pop-ups during the 2003 to 2007 period or comment on any significant differences, good or bad, between Coleman/Fleetwood, Starcraft, and Jayco?
Thanks in advance.
Ted
Sacramento, CA
pyampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #2

Welcome to JOF! I haven't seen many issues pop up for those year model Jayco pop-ups since JOF started four years ago. However, there could easily be issues with an older 2003-2007 unit if bearings, roof maintenance, etc, etc, haven't been kept up by the previous owners over the pop up's lifetime. Hope this helps. Let us know what you wind up doing and happy shopping
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

We had a fleetwood for a little while, and decided to get a new jayco 1006. My reasons were the jayco tows a hundred percent better and quality. seams on canvas, wood inside outside shower etc. The new jaycos aren't that far out of your budget. They come with 5yr war on the canvas and life on most. They also have a power roof lift now. Good luck
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I had a 2007 Fleetwood and previously owned Coleman.
Fleetwood bought Coleman, but I didn't see any changes in my 2007 from Coleman quality and design.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

My understanding was that Fleetwood discontinued their popup line because of low profit margins.
Since then, I heard someone bought the plant and was back in production and parts are available. Didn't berify.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #5

Here is my 2 cents...We had a 2007 Fleetwood Arcadia and were impressed with the overall quality of the unit. We are now in a Jayco TT. I think you'll be fine in either, but you may find it more difficult as time goes on to find parts etc for the Fleetwood, as they have stopped production as far as I know....
5.3L V8 3:73 Husky Centerline Hitch
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #6

Used Jayco or Used Coleman Fleetwood

Determine a floorplan you like first. I've just switched from a 2002 coleman to a 2007 jay series 1206. I'm happy with the jayco but definitely miss features of my coleman.

The jayco tows way better!!!! The fit and finish, and materials are comparable, IMO these two brands are way ahead of the rest. Coleman fleet wood had some nicer convenience features.

Don't go any older than 2004 for coleman fleet wood, that way you will avoid any roof issues. Parts for coleman are getting harder to find. Those were the two reasons we switched brands. If they dint go out of business I probably wouldn't have switched.

Cheers, and good luck!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #7

Jayco & Starcraft are basically the same. The founder of JAYCO (Wilbur Bontrager) was an engineer at STARCRAFT before he started his own company and he had the patent on the lifter system used by both companies. JAYCO bought STARCRAFT in 1992 when STACRAFT went bankkrupt. The pop-ups were (several years ago )and still may be coming out of the same plant.

Of course I'm a little prejudical, but I don't think anybody beats the quality of JAYCO/STARCRAFT when it comes to pop-ups.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #8

As healthi said "bearings and roof maintenance ". Wheel bearings are an easy & not to expensive item to do & should be done which ever one you buy. The 2 pce roof maintenance item is usually overlooked, even though Jayco lists a time table in the owners manual, for replacement of the center roof seam piece. That can be fixed with externabond tape . Larry
Old 07-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #9

I owned a Coleman/fleetwood Niagara for11 years. My take on the fleetwood/coleman units is good engineering and design, but very fragile materials and modest build quality. Things were always breaking. Step on the bumper and it breaks, water leaks every other year. All faucets replaced. Curtains pulled loose constantly. "Wood" paper thin and plastic moulding stapled with what looked like paper staples. Still, we loved the design and convenience. Steper door is best design in industry. But the leaks, rips and wood splits drove me nuts. I pick up a new 2014 Baja in about 10 days. I'm hoping the build quality and materials are tougher. I'm planning on using it in the NF high country. The fleetwood would fall apart on rough roads. The Jaycos seem a little behind in creature comforts (3" Mattresses, no vanities or hanging coat racks) we will miss those but reliability and durability trump everything.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote