Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
hazlet

rubber roof cleaning

What is the best way to get black spots off a rubber roof? Has anyone tried mold armor, used for cleaning house siding. I used murphys oil soap and that didnt work very good.

hazlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
pm1stnau

Hazlet, I was going to mention using Murphy's Oil Soap only because that is what our salesman and PDI recommended. I haven't tried it yet because our TT is so new, but if you're saying it doesn't work very well, then I'm asking everyone the same question you are: What is the best way to get black spots off of a rubber roof?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Grumpy

The people who make the "rubber roof" recommend Spic-N-Span and a stiff scrub brush. Here is the info from the company

CLEANING AND MAINTAINING THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE

Proper care and maintenance of your Alpha Systems roof membrane is critical for years of trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy and requires no special materials.

Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking. CARE SHOULD BE EXERCISED WHEN WORKING ON TOP OF YOUR UNIT! THE ROOF MAY BECOME SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

DO NOT USE ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ON THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE. USE OF THESE PRODUCTS WILL DAMAGE THE MEMBRANE.

Periodic inspection of the roof, during cleaning, is highly recommended. Check the membrane for signs of damage. Check the caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas, and around all accessories and fasteners, for signs of cracking or voids.

The roof membrane can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Caution should be used when placing any articles on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can usually be patched.

Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.

If you have any questions, please contact Alpha Systems at 574-295-5206
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Diesel Donnie

There are several manufacturers of "rubber roofs"- I believe not all are real rubber- You need to determine which product you have and then determine what to use to clean your roof- Question 1- What year is your unit?- Q2- How long have you owned the unit?- Q3 - What part of the country do you live in?- Q3- Where do you store the unit [ under trees, in a covered area or in direct sunshine ? ]- Q4- Where do you camp ?- Answers to all of these questions will help us help you- JMHO- DD
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
thomasmnile

In addition to making certain you never, ever get any product containing petroleum distillates on and EPDM or TPO roof, be very careful with insect sprays, especially those "wasp shooters" that lob a stream 20'. I used one to engage in chemical warfare with a mud dauber nest under a slide topper on our fifth wheel. Within seconds, literally, the EPDM bubbled up everywhere the spray contacted it. Looked at the can.............sure as hell, contained petroleum distillate of some sort.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Swingrrr

I have a 1999 Fleetwood Wilderness toy hauler and I have many black spots on my EPDM roof. Because the roof is old, I think it's just the white paint that has worn off. EPDM material may be black rubber painted white.
Swingrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Jeff61

I have been using the simple green soap. EPDM doesn't like petroleum distillates or any citrus products. Everything I have read says no protectorants to be used. I clean the roof primarily to examine the sealant around anything that pokes through the membrane and to have it cleaned so that if I do have to reseal those areas, it (the self leveling sealant) will bond to the membrane. As far as the black spots on the roof after the primary concern is taken care of...out of sight, out of mind, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it!
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
bbrown

I am getting ready (doing research and asking questions) to thoroughly clean my EPDM roof membrane and coat it with a liquid EPDM product (http://www.liquid-roof.com/liquidroof.html) that I've found online. For cleaning, Simple Green seems to be the prefered product...does anyone know of a better one? As for the liquid roof coating, I've read about 3 options: some kind of silicone/acrylic stuff-No; Kool Seal-Maybe; EPDM liquid roof-Top Pick. Does anyone have any experience with the coating products? What's the best?
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
mwebber78

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I use granular Tide or when I can find it granular Spic-n-Span. I have a medium bristle deck brush on a pole to scrub the roof. Your Alpha roof is textured, so it'll take some elbow grease and a bottle of ibuprofen to get it clean. Be reasonable when washing, the texture holds grime and at best your just looking to remove surface mildew and dirt. My 2013 is already speckled and it only has one season under its belt.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
msturtz

On our 2004 JayFlight I used the special EPDM cleaner from camping World. I also used the protectant as well. That said now we have an alpha systems roof that isn't EPDM and just needs a good soap.

2004 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS

New setup:
2014 Greyhawk 31FS
2007 Tahoe
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote